Sandy Nawrot's Reviews > This House is Haunted

This House is Haunted by John Boyne

Sep 11, 2013

liked it

Haunted house stories are tough. Sometimes I think the subtle approach is the better way to go, having really loved "The Little Stranger" and "The Haunting of Hill House". You are left to your own imagination and you second guess yourself on what is really going on, which is really where the fun lies. Too much spirit activity and explanations seems to tip the scale to corny. Which is where this book was headed. Certainly I enjoyed the period of the novel, the string of dead governesses and the tragic story of Gaudin Hall. I also loved the development of the heroine Eliza, who started out weak and unsure of herself, and ended up taking care of business. There was definitely a creep factor going on with the house, the kids, the groundskeeper...lots of atmosphere. The story was also very easy to read, and once I set my mind to it, read it within a couple of days. But ultimately, the haunting portion of the story came across as silly and predictable.

I read this book for my book club. I'm not sure what there will be to discuss, but knowing this group, we will find something!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This House is Haunted.

September 11, 2013 – Shelved