Brittany's Reviews > The Poison Eaters and Other Stories

The Poison Eaters and Other Stories by Holly Black

Sep 18, 2009

bookshelves: short-story-collection, young-adult

Creepy tales of girls whose kisses will kill you. Vampires who are stalking the night. Fairies that want to keep you forever. This is a collection you won't want to miss if you're a fan of Holly Black or things that go bump in the night and day.

This was a great collection there were only a couple of stories in this that were previously unpublished, but I had not read any of them. It was a real treat. They will all sort of dark, almost spooky tales of all sorts of odd things. I didn't like the story "Virgin," which was too bad because it was about unicorns. I just found it to be a bit hard to follow. I was never really sure what the characters were doing. My three favorite though were "The Night Market," "The Coat of Stars" and "Paper Cuts Scissors." "The Night Market" had a sort of voodoo feel to it. I liked the idea of a fairy in a tree that makes you fall in love with it. It's perfectly mischievous. "The Coat of Stars" was about a boy who's boyfriend got taken by fairies when they were teens. He comes back and makes these beautiful garments to try to entice the fairies into letting his boyfriend go. I thought it was a sweet story and I loved the main character. "Paper Cuts Scissors" I love because I love books, and the Dewey decimal system. In this story, the book characters intermingled within each other's stories, causing all sorts of interesting twists in the classics. The main characters girlfriend has a way of being able to put things in books, and eventually folds herself into one. I loved the whole concept of this story, and would love to see more added to it, or maybe have a short story collection on altered classics. All in all this was a fantastic little collection, and I recommend it highly to fans of the genre and Holly's other work.

First Line:
"Matilda was drunk, but she was always drunk anymore."

Favorite Lines:
"'Mayhaps.' Roiben tried not to let anything show on his face."

Read more: http://www.areadingnook.com/#ixzz1W4c...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poison Eaters and Other Stories.

September 18, 2009 – Shelved
September 18, 2009 – Shelved as: short-story-collection
September 18, 2009 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 10, 2011 – Started Reading
July 11, 2011 –
page 27
12.74% "First story was interesting. Wasn't expecting vampires in this collection."
August 21, 2011 –
page 77
36.32% "I love the length of these stories...perfect."
August 21, 2011 –