C.G. Drews's Reviews > Sinner

Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

bookshelves: 5-star, best-of-2014, paranormal, read-2014, young-adult

You know I'm a fan of Maggie Stiefvater. So I. freaked. out when I got a review-copy of Sinner from Scholastic Australia (ohhh my gosh, thank you Scholastic, thankyouthankyou) and I promptly dropped everything and read it. In one day. And I just...how do I review it? How do I even function?
There some books that remind you why you're absolutely obsessed with stories. This is one of them.
The end.

Ha! You didn't really think that's all I was going to say, right? No, I have a glorious review.

Maggie Stiefvater wrote this trilogy called The Wolves of Mercy Falls which includes Shiver, Linger, and Forever. (Who's slightly cliche titles we'll forgive because we're magnanimous like that.) They start off narrated by Grace, who is obsessed with wolves (which are actually werewolves because it's a bit weird to fall in love with an animal...so we fall in love with half-animals-half-humans). Gradually more squalling people/animals enter the picture. Sam is Grace's One True Love. He's a wolf. Then enters Cole: also a wolf. And Isabel: not a wolf, but as frosty as machete in Antarctica.

Sam and Grace are art and muse. Cole and Isabel are knife and fire.

I happen to love them a lot, maybe not more than Sam/Grace, but it's so equal my capacity for intense adoration is exhausting me. When I heard there'd be a standalone about Cole and Isabel in the What Happened After Shiverlingerforever Ended -- I knew I would love it.

It's also about music. Don't underestimate how freakishly hard it is to write a musical book. Musical movies are fine. You have ears. Musical books must sing you the music using mere words. How hard is that? Sinner, of course, pulls it off with flying colours and crackling chords. I adore music and I love that I could hear and feel it while reading the book.

And can we just talk about how GOOD the writing is? It's huge on the visuals, smells and feels details. 5-senses! Who'd have thought they could change a book from "cool" to "freakishly awesome"? I absolutely love how closely I could experience the book. The description isn't flooding over page after page. It uses punchy words. Then it's done.

The McMansion was sterile enough to actually remove pieces of my identity every time I returned to it, insidiously replacing them with wall-to-wall white carpet and blond hardwood floors.

or
I felt a not entirely great sensation in my stomach, like someone was opening an umbrella inside it.

A few words and -- BOOM -- the clearest picture is in your mind.

It's funny. (Did I mention I like funny?) The banter between Cole and Isabel is the best because they are really mean people who act like they hate each other and couldn't care less -- when really they care so so much and they can't bear the thought of losing each other. Lo

There is a brief Sam and Grace cameo. It's note enough, mind you. I was hoping they'd at least squeeze a scene in together. .

My only MEH moment is that it centers around Cole doing a "live-reality-television" thing of his life while he's composing his next album. I hate those things. Reality TV? I absolutely hate it. This didn't dampen the book for me, but it made me twitchy the whole time. Isabel didn't like it either, so at least I could stand with her on that one.

I just love this book, okay? I loved it a lot. I couldn't put it down. It made me want to write a million things and read a million things and just appreciate the greatest art that is books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinner.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Maggie Stiefvater
“I asked,”Are you going to pick up next time I call you?”
”I did this time didn’t I?”
“Say yes.”
“Yes. Conditionally yes.”…...
…”What conditions.?”
“Sometimes you do things like call me forty times a day and leave obscene voicemails and that’s why I don’t pick up.”
“Ridiculous. That doesn’t sound like me. I’d never call an even number of times.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“I can't change the way I'm made. I'm a performer, a singer, a werewolf, a sinner.”

Maggie Stiefvater
“Wait —” Sam said. “Have you seen Isabel yet?”
My fingers still felt the shape of her. “Da. We embraced.
Angels sang, Sam. Those fat ones. Cherubs. Cherubim. I
must go.”
“Don’t bite people.”

September 10, 2013 – Shelved
September 10, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
July 14, 2014 – Started Reading
July 14, 2014 –
page 204
57.14% "I am so so freaking exciting to be reading this book. ERMAGERD IT'S ISABEL AND COLE AND THEY ARE JUST AS AWESOME AS THEY WERE. I LOVE THEM. THE END."
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: 5-star
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: best-of-2014
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: paranormal
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: read-2014
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 15, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Alexandra Christo I'm reading it now, Cait hehe. OH, COLE <3

C.G. Drews OMG COLE IS THE BEST. 'Scuse me while I flail again.

Jessica Minneci Omg!!!!! I read that book as well and I had a lot of the same feelings you had. I love the characters, description, the music, everything. I wish I had had the time to read it all in one sitting but I did finish it in a week or less. It was amazing.