Josiphine/Tessa's Reviews > Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction

Firebirds Soaring by Sharyn November

bookshelves: flight, jolly-good, second-world-war
Recommended for: CNV fans,

** spoiler alert ** This is really a review for Something Worth Doing by Elizabeth Wein.

I read the first two pages of the story and then raged to my sisters about inaccuracy.

"See," I said, "look right here. It says that Kim Lyons was killed by a bus, but we all know that in CNV it says that he crashed his plane and was incinerated in the petrol." My sisters didn't remember that bit of the story. They aren't CNV fanatics like me.

I was so angry that she got it wrong that it sort of clouded my opinion. I was pretty sure that if she messed up that badly the story couldn't be any good.

It was good, but not as good as CNV. That was all right. I wasn't expecting it to compare anyway.

And then, all of a sudden it hit me. I was reading the first meeting between Maddie and Theo in CNV again, and I realized that Theo recognized Maddie. It wasn't because she knew that Maddie was bringing in the Lizzie; it was because she knew her from their time at Maidsend.

No wonder the vicar's 'son' never danced.

No wonder, indeed.

My prettiest apologies to Elizabeth Wein for mistrusting her. It won't happen again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firebirds Soaring.

September 10, 2013 – Shelved