Laura's Reviews > Unchained

Unchained by J. Lynn

Sep 10, 2013

bookshelves: recieved-to-review, new-adult, new-adult-books-read-in-2013, na-pnr

This review and others can be found on http://www.bookishtreasures.blogspot.com

Overall, I really enjoyed Unchained. Though this isn’t my favourite book by Jennifer, her series’ always improve book by book and I think that this series has the potential to be my new favourite. I loved the gritty Urban Fantasy world of the fallen angels and the Nephilim whose duty it is to kill them and their minions.

Lily is pretty much my ideal female main character; she is feisty and tough but still has vulnerable moments that keep her realistic. She is very protective of her friends and loves fiercely. In true JLA fashion the male lead is sexy and powerful and to top it off he is an actual angel – ok a fallen angel. Julian is certainly top book boyfriend material and he has many moments that will make you swoon. The passion between Lily and Julian was scorching and I thought the fact that we couldn’t be fully sure if Julian was trustworthy made things even more exciting.

I love that while this book was dual POV the second perspective was not that of the main love interest. It helped take the focus of the novel to places other than the romance and it allowed Julian’s thoughts and motives to remain secret. Michael is a wonderful character and I wish we had seen more of him in Unchained, I’m pretty sure we will see more of him in book 2 though.

I really liked the elements of mystery and suspense in this book; it is a guessing game for the reader right up until the end. Jennifer L. Armentrout can certainly write a gripping Urban Fantasy novel and I hope that she continues to write more in this genre.

As far as the writing goes, this book is more like Jennifer’s earlier books and you can tell this was written a while ago but that doesn’t mean it is not amazing. The ending was great, no big cliffhanger but it leaves a few things open and unresolved for a sequel. I can’t wait to find out more about Michael and I also hope we get to more of Lily and Julian.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unchained.

September 10, 2013 – Shelved