Bill's Reviews > The Way We Live Now

The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope

M 50x66
Sep 17, 2009

Read in January, 2009

It's so eerie how much this book describes the way WE live TODAY, that is in 2009. There is the same cast of characters we endure in our present. Of course the details are very different but it's the similarities that fascinate me. There are swindlers and shady bankers just like today. There are young men gambling and drinking to excess (still a lot of that going on). There is the older generation decrying the rudeness and lack of respect for tradition by the young. So many similarities.

The characters are wonderful. Young Felix "the most beautiful man in London" is a particular favorite. He has absolutely nothing to offer but his beauty and his inability to accomplish anything never ceases to amuse. His mother is a conniving schemer who in the end makes out well for herself despite all her faults. The main swindler, Mr Melmotte is a character who first appears as almost invincible and his downfall, which is the central story of the novel, is wonderfully portrayed. And there are many more interesting characters. Trollope's female characters are particularly strong and memorable.

If you've never read this book do yourself a favor and start soon. Yes it's long, but I was never bored for a moment, and at the end, you'll feel sad about not hearing more about the characters who by then will feel like old friends.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Live Now.