Library_boyfriend's Reviews > Songs of Willow Frost

Songs of Willow Frost by Jamie Ford

bookshelves: my-book-club-choices-2013

4.5

A touching tale set in the Seattle area in the 1920's/30's, of a young Chinese girl named Willow coming from meager beginnings. She is shown love through the act of sacrifice from her mother. You are helpless as you read her story of pain, loss, and humiliation. Through the midst of all of this she shows her own ultimate act of love/sacrifice, which brings us to meet William, her son who lives in an Orphanage desperately looking for his mother. Willow finally sheds her acceptance that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and makes the most difficult decisions of her life.

I really enjoyed this story. I became quite taken with William, and my heart poured out to Willow.

What would have made this book a 5 star for me:

1) The nuns. I couldn't decide if I hated them or not. I don't know if the author meant for them to be horribly mean, or just stern and protective. I was at a loss for how bad to feel for William.

2) William is so amicable. Even though Willow's story is horrible, he never once had a moment of melt down. He was far too agreeable, especially for a 12 year old hormonal boy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Songs of Willow Frost.

September 9, 2013 – Shelved