Ionia's Reviews > Dawning

Dawning by Olivia Stocum

Often I find that I fear reading historical romance. I have always been somewhat of a collector of history and historical fact and sometimes this makes me not such a great candidate for reading historical fiction.I tend to shred it apart when I find inaccuracies. I am pleased to say, that history buff or not, you will likely love this book. The research was impeccable and the story is lovely and compelling.

First of all, the dialogue...oh the dialogue. I had so much fun with the Scottish language in this novel. It was literally like hanging out in the corner of a room and overhearing other people have a conversation--an interesting one that you want to keep listening to.

The romance was handled really well. In this day and age of there being so many romance novels available every where you turn, it was nice to see characters that really had to make decisions about what they wanted and work to get it. I found the relationships in this book to be well thought out and more believable than most. There is a reason they want to be together and it is better than just "because we do," like so many other novels in the genre. Keeping secrets has never been so much fun!

The setting is beautiful and never stops changing throughout the course of the book, so you can't get bored. The descriptions that Olivia Stocum used to show you the world of her characters were so crystal clear and beautiful that it made me want to read the book again when I finished just to see the land all over again.

I am excited that this is part of a series. This type of writing deserves to go on for longer than just a single book.I loved that the ending was tied up well enough that you are looking forward to the next book, but did not feel cheated by the unresolved.

If you are looking for an historical romance with just the right amount of spice, mystery, action and emotion, Dawning is a perfect choice.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dawning.

Started Reading