Jelinas's Reviews > Polishing God's Monuments: Pillars of Hope for Punishing Times

Polishing God's Monuments by Jim Andrews

Sep 17, 2009

Read in September, 2009

It always scares me while I'm reading books like this.

Would my faith hold up under such dire circumstances? Is God going to force me to apply what I'm learning by throwing me into the furnace? What if God chooses to strip me of my idols in this extreme way?

Do I really trust in God for all things?

So far, a sobering, but encouraging, look at God's faithfulness to His children.

***

I am so thankful for this book. What an encouraging, soul-stirring treatment of the theology of suffering.

At first blush, this book reads more biographical than theological. But Pastor Jim doesn't just narrate the events of his daughter Juli's life. He narrates what God did through them. He shares the scriptures that helped Juli and her husband Paul to endure. He shares the scriptures that helped him to endure.

Despite the fact that I'm not suffering as intensely as Juli (perhaps because I'm not suffering as she is), I still come away from this book with a strengthened trust in Christ.

You see, the God of Jim Andrews and his daughter Juli is my God, too. I don't have to be afraid that God will "smite" me with this kind of suffering. If He wills it, He will also give me strength to endure. If He doesn't, then nothing of the sort can happen to me.

This book magnifies the doctrine of preservation of the saints, and exemplifies 1 Corinthians 10:13:

No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

What a beautiful promise. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Polishing God's Monuments.