Monnie's Reviews > First Family

First Family by David Baldacci

My quest to finish David Baldacci's series featuring former Secret Service agents Sean King and Michelle Maxwell before the latest one is released brought me to this one, the fourth in the series. Like the others before it, the dynamic duo - now partners in a private investigation firm - bump heads with both the Secret Service and the FBI early on. And right away, I thought to myself, "Just once, can't you folks play nice with each other for a change?"

Also as usual, there are two story lines. One, the President's niece is kidnapped and her mother is murdered - and the First Lady, a long-time acquaintance of Sean's, asks him to look into finding the young girl and bringing her back unharmed. Then, Michelle's own mother is murdered, forcing her to deal with buried memories of her childhood (those she refused to face during the semi-forced visits with a psychologist in the previous book in the series, Simple Genius) as well as the possibility that someone close to her may have done the dirty deed.

Both plots take the two to the wilds of Alabama to Michelle's childhood home; the first is more than a little unbelievable (and even less plausible the closer I got to the end). The second leads to a rather unexpected - and not totally happy, at least for me - conclusion. Near the finish line, the whole thing veers way off track when Michelle manages not only to drive a car but run full out on an ankle she "fractured" (Baldacci's word) in an explosion less than half an hour earlier that left her totally unable to stand upright. Not long thereafter, said ankle apparently gets repaired and she gets the boot - protectively speaking; but that, too, doesn't seem to impair her ability to get around as it would have any other mortal human being.

If you overlook credibility here and there, though, this is a fun, exciting book - and perhaps my favorite so far in terms of getting my attention and holding it. Now it's on to the last one I've been able to get my hands on - The Sixth Man. Here I go!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Family.

September 9, 2013 – Started Reading