Pili's Reviews > Dreams of Gods and Monsters

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: 2014-series-challenge
Read 2 times. Last read April 10, 2014 to June 13, 2014.

Dreams of Gods and Monster is the last book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy and it is a worthy ending for it. It might have affected me emotionally more than other people due to personal circumstances, but it is a book full of wonderful epic writing, tension and our very beloved characters and a few new ones.

As with any final book review I will do my very best to keep it as spoiler free as possible but there might be some spoilers for the other two books in the trilogy.

After the quite cliffhangery ending of Days of Blood & Starlight we are facing quite dangerous odds, from enemies within and without and if the stakes weren't high enough, we're introduced to some new characters which was a bit surprising. Who are these people and why are we getting to know about them only now? How are they gonna be relevant to the story?

The story is told through various different POVs and although some weren't as central to the bigger picture, they all gave us some insight or other, and they all started or took part of the action and moved the plot along.

Through Morgan and Eliza we see how people on Earth and the bulk of humanity react to the arrival of the angels, and we also get much more than I would have expected at first, even if I suspected something big was afoot. Nope, THAT I was not expecting! And that's all I will say about them, anything else would risk spoilers cause once I start talking about what a weasel Morgan was but how in the end it was the starting point of something for the best... I might end up spoiling something!

Akiva and Karou are still finding their footings as new allies, and it's painfully amazing seeing them work through the differences of their races and search for that hope of a better world for everyone and a chance at love and a future for themselves. My heart was hurting with every interaction, full of hope, joy, sadness, mourning... A bit of everything really!

Zuzana and Mik have to be my favourite characters in this series. Being human they might lack the magic and the powers to make big contributions, but trust me, they are not useless at all! Not only they provide a bit of comic relief, but they also provide a different perspective and a different support for Karou. These books wouldn't be as wonderful as they are without the rabid faery and the violin boy!

Liraz and Ziri are two secondary characters that really come into their own in this book, and that take charge of themselves and their lives. Not only that, they are instrumental in the changes and battles to be fought and in the outcome of not only the battles but also the whole course of the war!

The world building has always been extraordinary in these books, but now it takes on a bigger dimension. Magic and science mix in an epic way and show us that knowledge lost can be utterly dangerous and that Earth and Eretz are not the only places out there, and that the portals are more dangerous than we knew.

The ending is more open than I had expected but it is a perfect ending. Full of hope and beginnings and middles and with a lot of not exactly dull moments to image. It left me bawling like there was no tomorrow, but it was just perfect. Very much deserved 5 stars for this final book, and all the stars to the whole trilogy. Thank you, Laini Taylor, for these wondrous books!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

September 9, 2013 – Shelved
September 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2013 – Shelved as: 2014-series-challenge
April 10, 2014 – Started Reading
April 10, 2014 –
page 17
2.77% "Now who is this Eliza, hmmmm?"
April 13, 2014 –
page 110
17.94% "The writing is just so beautiful, even if I'm confused about the new characters!"
April 13, 2014 –
page 184
30.02% "All this tension and feelings of despair are too much on my own wrecked emotional state..."
May 23, 2014 –
page 270
page 305
49.76% "Ok, so who is Eliza really???"
page 465
75.86% "Ok now how did that happen? O_o *twitches*"
page 511
83.36% "And cue bawling like a baby..."
June 13, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 21, 2016 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
November 21, 2016 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
November 25, 2016 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Stephanie (new) - added it

Stephanie Uh oh...I'm scared, Pili!!! And would you believe I still have not read this yet???

Pili Stephanie wrote: "Uh oh...I'm scared, Pili!!! And would you believe I still have not read this yet???"

It was fantastic, in a different emotional state I would have been happy crying, trust me! It's a book to savour not rush through but a great book nonetheless!