Pili's Reviews > Days of Blood & Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight by Laini Taylor

bookshelves: 2014-series-challenge
Read 2 times. Last read January 3, 2014 to January 24, 2014.

After finishing Daughter of Smoke and Bone and having to deal with that ending, I just had to start reading this one immediately! I had to stop after the first few chapters though, because it was so hard to read! Such heartbreak both on Karou's and Akiva's sides!

I will try my best to keep this review as spoiler free as possible, but you really shouldn't read it if you still haven't read the first book!

Karou finally knows who she was and it's learning to be both her blue haired self and who she was before, now that all her memories are back. It has destroyed her as much as it has made her whole and she has vowed to commit herself to do Brimstone's work to rebuild the army of the Chimaera to be able to fight back the Seraphim after being almost wiped out.

Akiva has decided to fight towards making sure the war will stop, to make sure a better future without hate and war can be possible, even if he doesn't seem to have any possibility of hope for himself. He starts slowly but keeps on finding ways to stop the slaughter, even if it's in small ways at first.

This was a very dark and very heartwrenching book, so much that despite not wanting to put it down, I had to take a break because I was getting so heartbroken page after page!

Karou is such an amazing character and she undergoes such a journey again in here, from heartbroken and full of pain and resentment and anger and fear to a much more assertive, strong and decided to make any sacrifices necessary to save those she love and to stop the war and murdering.

Thankfully we have Zuzanna and Mik to add some sense of wonder and magic in the darkness and some sense of strenght and to remind Karou of what and why she's fighting for!

The ending is quite tough and quite full of unexpect surprises and twists but it does leave us with a little bit of hope. I'm just too stunned and looking forward to the next book. It doesn't end with an awful gruelling cliffhanger, but it does leave us with a big looming menace, but Karou is left in a position where at least it seems that she'll be ready to fight!

5 stars or more to this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood & Starlight.

September 9, 2013 – Shelved
September 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 18, 2013 – Shelved as: 2014-series-challenge
January 3, 2014 – Started Reading
January 3, 2014 –
January 20, 2014 –
January 24, 2014 – Finished Reading
November 18, 2016 – Started Reading (Audiobook Edition)
November 19, 2016 – Shelved (Audiobook Edition)
November 20, 2016 – Finished Reading (Audiobook Edition)