Jeff's Reviews > Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin

Official Book Club Selection by Kathy Griffin

Sep 17, 2009

I totally didn't mean to read this book! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Kathy Griffin. Truly. I think she is hysterical and I love her stand-up. What I mean is that I bought the book as a gift for a friend and, before I wrapped it up, I decided to peruse the first few pages. Well, when I saw that it started with an open letter to Oprah, I knew I was in for a long night of reading -- reading AND laughing.

Kathy's book is a compulsively good read. It is equal parts Griffin schtick and true memoir. What impressed me most about "Selection" is that (1) you can hear Kathy's inimitable voice in every word; (2) she is surprisingly candid about her life; and, (3) she has worked so incredibly hard to get where she is today. Kathy is the opposite of an overnight sensation; she's someone who has worked for everything she'd gotten -- dues were paid, people were pissed off, but she was always true to herself and her dreams. I respect that immensely.

Believe it or not, this book would've been a five star read for me (and you guys can see I don't give 5 stars out easily!), except I found the chapter on her relationship with Steve Wozniak a little tedious. (Okay, more than a little tedious!) All in all, though, I loved the book, had a great time reading it, was surprised by her candor, and reveled in her wit.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Official Book Club Selection.

Finished Reading
September 17, 2009 – Shelved

message 1: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed You're killing me with reading getting to books just before I do. :-) Am finishing up a book today ("Little Bee"... but had "How I Became A Famous Novelist" under serious consideration) and have Kathy's book ready as my vacation book. Glad to hear you enjoyed it though. I find memoirs to be pretty hit-or-miss and since it seems like we already know so much about her, it had me a bit worried. Regardless, figured it would be a fun and easy read regardless!

Jeff I'm sorry I keep beating you to the punch! LOL! If it's any consolation, you totally aced "The Help" before I did! In fact, I still haven't gotten to it, although I am getting closer to whittling down the stack on my nightstand :)

I really want to hear what you think of "Little Bee." I won't say anything more about it here, but I loved, loved, loved certain elements about it, and had pretty major problems with other parts.

Yeah, I really liked Kathy's book a lot. I'm going to see her perform when she'd in Denver in November. I've wanted to catch her act live for a while now.

I'm reading "The Lost Symbol" right now -- more out of obligation than desire. I'm not loving it, but I'm not hating it either. Being in the book industry, though, I feel I should read it. It's killing me to waste time on a book I'm not really excited about because I've got some books I'm really excited about -- new Barbara Kingsolver, new Margaret Atwood, new Lorrie Moore! October is promising to be an incredible reading month, too, with new books by Paul Auster AND John Irving. It's like all of my faves decided to give me a reason to hibernate for the rest of the year and simply read :)

Hope all is well,