Snotchocheez's Reviews > The Circle

The Circle by Dave Eggers

I'd be the first to admit that Dave Eggers' writing can be quite facile (The Circle is certainly evidence of that), but love him or hate him, he sure can tell a story. His long (500 page) yet breezy reimagination of a Google-esque company controlling every aspect of our lives provided probably the most fun I had reading fiction this year (2013).

Watch as protagonist Mae gets hired at "The Circle", quickly works her way up the ranks, and loses her mind trying to amass as many "smiles" and 100s as possible while her company systematically strips away the populace's right to privacy. Fun, and really creepy, as long as you don't spend too much time thinking about its plausibility.

(Don't forget to click the "like" button below...my very soul depends on it).
(What? You didn't like my review?!? How can I do better? I need that "like", please.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circle.

September 9, 2013 – Shelved
September 9, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 27, 2013 – Started Reading
December 3, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Lily Hope you'll return the favor when I get around to posting. LOL (Just kidding, of course????) How's your count doing, Mae, oh, sorry, Snotch.

Campbell Andrews All evidence shows you to be a serious reader, but I don't feel so bad about not keeping up with the likes of you when I come across an opinion like this. If I read so much I'd probably be more forgiving of a book like The Circle too.

Snotchocheez I'm not sure I understand your comment, Andrew. If I'm reading it correctly, it seems you're intimating that because I read a lot of books, I'm a less discerning reader (than, for instance, you). That if I didn't read 100+ books per year, I'd be apt to spend more time dissecting books (like The Circle, which you obviously did not like much) for their faults, instead of lauding their strengths. This is a faulty supposition. Irrespective of the number of books I've read, if a book makes me laugh (like The Circle did), I'm not going to dissect the book for its faults (even though I acknowledge there are plenty of them.) I'm not a writer, nor do I have a Creative Writing MFA (or even a degree in Lit Crit). I'm just an average guy who likes to read. I've long ago eschewed the use of social media (with the exception of Goodreads, and really only to use it as a reminder to myself for what I've read, and perhaps get ideas for what I'd like to read in the future) and I can't really even adequately explain to you why I found Eggers' novel so funny to me. It just did. I'm not going to apologize for my opinion. Conversely, I wouldn't try to disparage your opinion, or make a comment (oozing with condescension) in an attempt to bolster my dissenting point of view.

Campbell Andrews No, I meant that *I* can't take in that much and keep my wits about me. I lose track of my thoughts, books (and movies) start to muddle together. I'm impressed that you're able to consume so voraciously and remain coherent, not to mention articulate.

The Circle made me laugh, too.

Snotchocheez I'm sorry to have misinterpreted your comment, Andrew. The dual stressors of parenthood and joblessness (the latter being the source of much--unmerited--free time to read so damn much these days) are setting me on edge, I guess. (We did, though, somewhat concur in our opinion of Eggers' "epic fail" Your Fathers, Where Are They..., though I'm without the intellectual wherewithal to succinctly blast it with an "op-ed wankery" label.). Also, my computer fried a while back, so any review (or any comment, for that matter) I post on here has been, of late, typed with my antiquated iPhone 3, thus rendering my (already compromised) ability for coherent criticism even more "tossed off" than I intend. Thanks for the compliments, too.

message 7: by Clarice (new) - added it

Clarice Sorry I didn't "Like" your review sooner, Snotcho. :-) I have been accessing Goodreads on my Kindle app which doesn't allow me to "like" things for some reason. It does allow me to "comment", but I hate typing on my Kindle screen.

Now that I know that being "Liked" is so important to you, (although I'm sure you said that with tongue in cheek, right?) I will make an effort to visit GoodReads on my laptop more often. Because I DO enjoy and appreciate your reviews. :-) (seriously)

message 8: by Snotchocheez (last edited Oct 15, 2014 03:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Snotchocheez Aww, thank you, Clarice! That's so sweet of you to say. I was just being facetious with this (piffly) review (and feel guilty receiving 30 likes for being jokey--not that I'm counting, of course). I feel honored that you powered up your laptop just to give me a "like"...that's worth a dozen likes right there! Thank you for reading (and appreciating) my other reviews, too. Just knowing that you read (and like them for real, not just "like" them), is very heartening. Have a good day/night, and happy reading!

Sara This book sounds intriguing.

Snotchocheez It depends on who you ask, Sara. I thought it was plenty interesting, and surprisingly funny (even if Eggers wasn't trying to be). Others found it contrived and lame. If, like Ms. Graedon's The Word Exchange, Eggers continued down the dystopian path this would've had more impact; instead it almost felt more like he had an ax to grind with Google (and perhaps Facebook) than actually tell a engaging story. I liked it though, as I've had a couple jobs that reminded me a lot of protag Mae's, customer service jobs that asked the customer to rate my performance. We were constantly hounded to keep our survey scores above a certain ridiculously high threshhold, even though the surveys really were not at all reflective of the overall quality of job performance.

message 11: by Sara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sara Well, I might check it out and see what I think. Never had a job like that - ugh. Sorry.

Karen Spot on with so much of your review, Snotchoscheez, and well put about facile, breezy yet fun. And well and truly accurate with the corporate work environment having just escaped something similar. Still, I enjoyed the read even while smirking through the 'clueless' bits and overkill. Now for something with more cyber-meat on it, go read The Girl in the Spider's Web.

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I most definitely like all of your reviews. You sure convince me to read stuff! Keep it up : )

Kelly (and the Book Boar) Michael wrote: "Hi,

I hope all is well with you. I just thought you might enjoy my novel, The Crimson Shamrock. It is a satirical thriller about a fraudulent tech company in Silicon Valley that pokes some fun at ..."

You do realize the “flag” button right next to your post is for spammy self promotion like you just left here, right?

Kelly (and the Book Boar) I’ll tell you I have ZERO interest in reading a synopsis from someone who can’t respect a reviewer’s personal space without trying to sell them something. It matters zilch that you’re an actual human, you’re still simply a spammer here.