Betsy's Reviews > The Boy on the Wooden Box

The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson

bookshelves: non-fiction

One Sentence Review: Absolutely beautiful and in a perfect world would replace The Boy in the Striped Pajamas as the customary middle grade WWII Holocaust title.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy on the Wooden Box.

September 8, 2013 – Started Reading
September 8, 2013 – Shelved
September 11, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 27, 2013 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Monica Edinger Agree.

Joan I wish it would replace it. I'm really not comfortable with what I've read of the striped pajamas book. Its been a while so I don't remember details but this title is less childish and more realistic all around.

Edward Sullivan HATE The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

Danielle Bartos I agree it would be a good replacement. I love the fact it's a memoir and that is a genre rarely used in school. It shows more of the atrocities of the Holocaust yet in a still somewhat sensitive nature. There are a lot of media and non fiction components you can pull into it as referenced in the Afterward, and it allows more people to hear about Schindler as well and be curious about his heroism.

Joan With Common Core, I would think teachers would be looking for more nonfiction/biographies to use in class. I hope they consider this a useful title!

Katherine Mingle I'm trying, Betsy!
I am reading this book with my 8th graders right now. In fact, I often point out the glaring differences between this memoir and John Boyne's piece of sentimental yet historically inaccurate piece of garbage.

Betsy Would that Goodreads allowed me to "like" comments I would "like" the heck out of yours, Katherine.

Karen Cowgill Don't replace the Boy in the Striped Pajamas!! BOTH books need to be read! I must admit, though, I preferred The this book!

Karis I'm reading it with my 7th graders. I like that I can incorporate not only the history and roots of the Holocaust and the atrocities, but we can also talk about different types of resistance, which I think helps students manage the weight of the topic by seeing the hope and the good.

message 10: by Janet (new)

Janet Cooke That is how I came across The Boy, it is being read in our local Middle School.

message 11: by Julie (last edited Aug 18, 2019 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Julie Suzanne I have always thought that Milkweed and Friedrich were excellent choices for Holocaust historical fiction for Grade 8; I'm glad this one is available as a nonfiction/memoir choice. Looking forward to reading it!