Elizabetta's Reviews > A Case of Possession

A Case of Possession by K.J. Charles

bookshelves: rev-4-love, lt-200-pgs, pnr-or-fantasy, joint-review, hist-rom, british-isles, best-of-2014

RATS!! Rats, rats, rats everywhere! Mutant rats. Tidal waves of scurrying, ravaging little beasties… well, maybe not so little. There’s blood and guts and gore and lots of eeww-yuck grizzly bits. If you’re squeamish, beware!

But for the rest of us, this is another great chapter in the adventures of the debonair Earl Crane, the Magpie Lord. This second book finds Lucien Vaudrey (does the man have enough names?) still in England even though life would be so much easier back in China. He’s tending to his business, checking his chits, but what keeps him here? Could his distraction have anything to do with the sweet practitioner, slash-witch, slash-shaman, Stephen Day? It seems that Crane’s heart is lost to him.

In A Case of Possession, we get another ripping mystery. Again, it’s about mysterious ghosts, but teamed with ruthless, ravenous rats haunting the slums of London, and a clever connection to Chinese lore. We also see more of the developing relationship between Crane and Stephen. That this author can weave a tight, engrossing plot was proven in the first book. Added to the mix is the conundrum of Crane’s and Stephen’s intimate relationship -- it seems that it affects Stephen’s magic abilities. The two continue to scorch the sheets (and defile desk tops) in the most delicious (and entertaining) way.

“Please, my lord!… Make me yours,” said Stephen. “Make me fly. Make the magpies fly…”… magpies were rising all around them in a storm of wings…”

But their connection causes the Magpie magic hidden in Crane’s blood to enhance Stephen’s abilities. Not a problem, except for the unwanted attention this has drawn from Stephen’s practitioner colleagues. This means we finally get to meet his colorful teammates as they troop the alleyways and cellars of London in search of nefarious shamans and blood thirsty rodents.

Not only must Crane and Stephen face more paranormal threats to English society, but they must now figure out how to save Stephen’s reputation as a just and honorable shaman. The looming censure by his fellow practitioners weighs heavily and threatens his and Crane’s relationship.

The sophomore attempt in a series has often been a bellwether of success… the glow of the first book has worn off, and now we must see what this stuff is really made of. But our two fearless lovers and their man, Merrick, continue to hold their own very well as their history elaborates. There is lots to love and more still to discover in the Charm of Magpies series.

A Case of Possession is a very satisfying addition to the series -- a well written and complex enough mystery with (rats! demonic, red-eyed, yellowed-fanged and twitchy-clawed.) lots of suspense, lovely witchery and gory gore. Recommended.

Read an interview with the author and find out lots more about Crane, Stephen and Merrick at this link:

Author Interview

And another little freebie...

If you loved The Magpie Lord and you want MORE. Please follow the link below to an exclusive short scene:

The Smuggler and the Warlord featuring a Crane and Merrick adventure in China, and only found on our blog. Much thanks to KJ Charles for writing this shortie for us!

Interlude

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Case of Possession.

September 8, 2013 – Shelved
December 28, 2013 – Started Reading
January 1, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

SheReadsALot So jealous right now...then remembers I can actually read the short scene too. LMAO

Elizabetta There will be 2 freebie shorts. I think KJ is releasing another one soon. So yay!!

Chris, the Dalek King Love the review! I really can't wait till I can get my hands on this.

Elizabetta Thanks Carissa!

message 5: by Em (new) - rated it 5 stars

Em Love the review! It was good wasn't it:D

Julio Genao great review, 'Betta :-)

Elizabetta Thanks guys. Yes, it was very good. I'm amazed at how much Charles brings into this world.

Ingie Glad to se a lot of stars. I will read your review as soon as I finished to reading about these lovely guys. Starting now... :)

message 9: by Elizabetta (last edited Jan 29, 2014 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elizabetta Have fun Ingela!!

Ingie Wonderful review, Elizabetta! You say it all. - I loved this second part too...of course. :)))

Elizabetta Thanks Ingela :)