Sophia's Reviews > A Most Civil Proposal

A Most Civil Proposal by C.P. Odom

bookshelves: historical-romance, jane-austen-austenesque

Another engaging Pride and Prejudice 'What-If' Retelling that explores what would have happened if Darcy had offered a much different proposal to Elizabeth Bennet. What if he didn't insult her, but instead was civil? Would it make a difference? Would it change everything after that?

I will not offer a summary of this one because I want the reader as delightfully surprised as to what happens as I was. I will say that the story takes off right at the point where Darcy plots out his proposal and sets out to deliver it to Elizabeth who is staying with the Collinses at Hunsford. It then mingles the familiar with the new when it comes to scenes, dialogue and characters. The Gardners, the Bingleys, Georgiana, Col. Fitz and his family along with Jane all play a larger role in this one as does one other. There is an exquisite Epilogue that just brought tears to my eyes because it was a good piece of imagining that I have not seen another writer portray in an Austenesque before.

This was a splendid story that altered the plot, but yet kept the integrity of Jane Austen's characters intact for the most part. Darcy and Lizzy and their bevvy of friends are still the same in both their flaws and their strengths. That is with one glaring exception that caught me off guard. Mr. Bennet, yes, Mr. Bennet was a deviation in this one and it was in a manner that seemed way out of character to me and thus hard to accept.

I really enjoyed how the story changed perspectives so we are privvy to what those other than Lizzy think about matters particularly Darcy. Lizzy and Darcy experience the conflict of their misunderstood natures and its fun to see them deal with their differences and come together as a couple. I also want to toss out there that this Darcy and Lizzy experience a much more earthy and physical relationship so be warned if that matters to you.

That being said, this will appeal to those who love Austenesque retellings that offer an alternative path to the Pride and Prejudice story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Most Civil Proposal.

September 8, 2013 – Started Reading