Chris's Reviews > Shop Class as Soulcraft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work

Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford

Sep 16, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: deep-thoughts

Surprisingly not once is Tim Allen's show within a show "Tool Time" from "Home Improvement" mentioned in this homage to the superiority of the tradesman to the knowledge worker. At a time when more schools were closing down shop programs this TV show which worshipped tinkering with tools was a big hit. But then this is a serious book with no time for comic irony. This book is at times quite thought provoking and other times the reader is left rereading a sentence or two and wondering "what did he just say?" This book also reads like a confessional when the author talks about the conflict in billing customers for time or when he worked as a writer of abstracts. I concur with most of what he says about modern management theory. All in all a fascinating and soulful critique of what we do for pay and leisure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shop Class as Soulcraft.

September 16, 2009 – Shelved
September 16, 2009 –
page 1
0.41% "I've been waiting since late June for this and now I will have to make it priority one in my reading queue."
September 17, 2009 –
page 18
September 17, 2009 –
page 18
7.47% "Intro was awesome. Waiting for mention of irony of TV's Tooltime being hit when HS shop class being cut."
Started Reading