Jason's Reviews > The Silver Linings Playbook

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick

did not like it

There are good books and there are bad books, period, that's the distinction.
Norton Juster

It appears that this book was structured, not around a plot but around a shamelessly badly rendered character. This idea could have been surprisingly successful, if in the hands of a author who knows his craft. 2d characters. You can almost hear the echo of their cries as they wither in a lack of creativity and the weight of their soul crush monotony.

The main character is a narcissistic, obsessed, child who had the cognitive abilities of a ten year old boy, pampered by a mother with low self-esteem and tremendous enmeshment issues. He seems to process information at an incredibly slow speed and perceives thing with such little competence that it is truly astonishing; think gold fish. Seriously, referring to a psychiatric facility as the "bad place" when he is a thirty something year old? Does he also sleep with a teddy bear and call his mom into his room, petrified of the monster in the closet?

His behavior has nothing to do with his diagnosis but completely and totally everything to do with a poor conceived central character. He demonstrates borderline tendencies, but these are so poorly constructed and demonstrated that it almost distracts the reader. In the movie they outlined a decent, although simplistic illustration of bipolar disorder. In the book he pops so many pills he is a walking drug store. Even when skipping his medication he doesn't demonstrate any significant symptomatology. So, are we just to assume that the author wrote a novel about a bloated, stereotypical man?

Cause Seriously that's been done.

We also have a therapist that acts in an unethical, immoral, and haphazard manner. This is dangerous in a climate that isolates those who seek out therapists, and in a dangerous time in history where mental health awareness is paramount to a functioning society. There is some serious misguided bullshit here.

The father/ son relationship can really be summed up by:

Homer (IE father Pat Peoples): Stupid boy. All you do is cost me money. Money I could be wasting." (on a TV after i threw the remote at the old one)...

"Albus Dumbledore (IE: Pat Peoples): Don't ignore me" ...

Chip (IE: Pat Peoples): [being spanked as part of Omega's initiation] Thank you, sir! May I have another?....

and repeat

Tension between father and son fell completely flat and was absolutely noteless. The very fabrication of this relationship was so poorly constructed that it surpasses expectations of how horrible a character's relationship with another major character could be.

The dialog is tone death, the relations between characters non-distinct. The characters so under developed it seems they are a carbon copy of one another, almost cartoony in an 80s retro before technology sorta way.

A rip off of about ten other books;see other reviews; http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Trite, repetitive and under develop plot lines.

It appears that little effort was put into the majority of the plot and especially the smaller sub plots. Crazy ass bastard is totally scary obsessed with his ex wife (of whom he has NOT seen for four years); it's just really creepy; like restraining order creep fest. It echos the whole box plot device of This is Why We Broke Up ; switch out box for ex-wife. Yet, by some extraordinary means, this is even worse than This is Why We Broke Up.

A downright disgrace to a movie that, while completely and utterly flawed, at least held strings of suspense and character development. It at least had a twinkle of self respect and dignity. This book, on the other hand is the complete absence of those qualities and lacks craft, and exudes a lack of skill and sophistication.

If this was project runway I could hear Tim Gunn saying "Congratulations on this perfect example of an overworked, underwhelming piece"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Linings Playbook.

September 8, 2013 – Shelved
September 8, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 14, 2013 – Started Reading
September 20, 2013 –
page 10
3.46% "off we go into mental health territory until October scare month"
September 21, 2013 –
page 10
3.46% ""the bad place" what are we a two year old? \n \n seriously. this narrator better start acting like an adult or im deleting this one."
September 24, 2013 –
20.0% "Can not wait until this is over."
September 25, 2013 –
33.0% "Still despise this book."
September 25, 2013 –
33.0% "Flat characters. Flat text. Boring, juvenile style."
September 25, 2013 –
40.0% "Yah I get the perks of wallflowers ref people make. So terribly bad."
September 25, 2013 –
46.0% "Each character a ten year old book stuck in a mucky mess of other well known books. Cluttered. A freaking shit storm of clutter."
September 28, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

message 1: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus I love this.

Jason Papa wrote: "I love this."

message 3: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Jas wrote: "Papa wrote: "I love this."

I seriously was SCREAMING last night that my boyfriend was like "its a kindle, delete it... and go to bed"."

HA I don't blame him, but clearly he's never been cranially assaulted by bad writing.

Jason Papa wrote: "Jas wrote: "Papa wrote: "I love this."

HA I don't blame him, but clearly he's never be..."

I was also a bit drunk, as this was the only way i could manage to even pick it back up. the power failing on it should have served as a sign; "dont pick me up tonight Jason, just dont"

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Derus Learn to listen to the omens...much less trouble ensues when you follow the subtle signals.

Like POWER FAILING TO TURN ON. Dude!

Jason trust me i will next time... i honestly thought 'this cant get worse" and it did... over.. over.. and over again

message 7: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao well: shit.

not pictured: nina garcia questioning someone's taste-level

Jason julio wrote: "well: shit.

not pictured: nina garcia questioning someone's taste-level"

HA i forget what review i mentioned her in.

Jason found it.. how we broke up... uploaded photo. good idea, it gives it a nice finish.

message 10: by Julio (new)

Julio Genao yes, you made it work

*ducks*

message 11: by S. (new) - rated it 1 star

S. Pat's incessant reference to his mental health facility as the "bad place" made me want to rip the book in half. And I couldn't agree more about the novel's depiction of mental health, the therapist's obvious unethical acts and all!

message 12: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Bookfiend9 wrote: "Pat's incessant reference to his mental health facility as the "bad place" made me want to rip the book in half. And I couldn't agree more about the novel's depiction of mental health, the therapis..."

Seriously! I could not understand why the majority of the family lacked any intellectual abilities. It was akin to being around a bunch of 3 year olds fighting for blocks. It just went on and on for so many pages. Redundancies in language and terms that had no relevance or degraded character development, and the lack of character development as a whole. i really disliked this one.

message 13: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason julio wrote: "yes, you made it work

*ducks*"

genius LOL

Slaskowski Brilliant.

message 15: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Slaskowski wrote: "Brilliant."

thanks!!!! It just crushed me. the entire thing was painful!

Jennie THANK YOU. I felt this book was complete crap.

message 17: by Jason (new) - rated it 1 star

Jason Absolute crap!

Amber Dunten I can't say you're wrong about any of this... and yet I still didn't hate it. I thought of Pat as being somewhere on the autism spectrum because his affect is so stilted, and i think that allowed me to be more forgiving of his childlike portrayal.