Lindsay Mead's Reviews > Half-Blood

Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Sep 07, 2013

bookshelves: read-in-2013
Read on September 07, 2013

The author has a real way of making character interactions and emotions seem real. More than once I found my heart pounding and it wasn't from an action scene. I believe this is really what carried me through the novel. I'm the sort of person who needs a fast moving plot. If it's just the same repetitious, mundane actions over and over, I'll get bored. The book's largest flaw was its predictable plot. It followed a pretty "by the book" YA blueprint. Plus there's a prophecy and lord do I hate those. I think authors try to word them in ways that will throw readers off, but it never works. Not for me anyway. There was one thing that I didn't expect, but aside from that it all worked out as expected. All-in-all a good way to spend my day. I talk about this book and others on my YouTube channel, here: http://bit.ly/RN2j5n

*Oh and it should be noted that there are a few typos in this book. Obvious ones that shouldn't have been missed on a book that isn't self published. And the ereader version isn't formatted properly. It's still readable, but there are large gaps between the paragraphs and at times in the middle of sentences.
My Spoilery Thoughts: (view spoiler)

Recommended

Magic: Yes *Glamour
Drugs: Alcohol

Star Categories
Romance: 4 Stars
Action: 3.5 Stars *Gotta knock it for the damsel routine.
Pacing: 4 Stars
Writing: 4 Stars
Plot: 4 Stars
Overall: 4 Stars

Protagonist Meter
Damsel-----*-----Badass
I'm sticking her in the middle. She sorta held own at times, but mostly got her ass kicked. I'm hoping for better in book two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Half-Blood.

09/07/2013 marked as: currently-reading
09/07/2013 page 72
25.0% "I like it, but I'm hoping the plot moves beyond the school at some point. Otherwise, I'll get bored."
09/07/2013 page 128
45.0% "The plot is predictable. Only one thing surprised me, but after one page I remembered the prophecy and again I know just what to expect. The character interactions and the emotions are very charged. Best part of the book so far."
09/08/2013 marked as: read