Parallel Worlds's Reviews > Entangled

Rating: PG
Writing style: 2/5
Likable characters: 3/5
Plot/Concepts: 3/5
Cade has been trying to drive the Noise out of her head for as long as she can remember, but the day it finally leaves is the day the holograph of a dead scientist informs her that she was raised as part of project QE, joined to another child via Quantum Entanglement. Now she must hurry to find her other half, Xan, or else she may lose the only person she’s ever been connected with.
I was pleasantly surprised by the setting of this book, which is reminiscent of Star Wars in the abundance of alien species. Due to their tendency to get “spacesick”—a terrible condition where the vastness of space results in a sort of psychosis—humans live as second-class citizens of the many worlds they’ve scattered to. Cade lives alone on a harsh desert planet, playing solo music at the local clubs to eke out a living. I enjoyed the fun and bizarre aspects, which set Engtangled somewhat apart from the typical YA Sci Fi novel being published these days.
The characters, too, were enjoyable, although many of them start out almost as archetypes: the tough girl with the electric guitar; the stoic alien; the bubbly girl who’s actually hiding something. Cade eventually joins the ragtag crew of a living ship named Renna, and despite herself and the instinctive drive she has to find Xan, she ends up making friends with most of them—which is a first for her. I was bracing myself for a heavy emphasis on her relationship with Xan, which would, I was sure, turn into a romance very quickly. But that’s not what happened. Although she can share thoughts, feelings, sounds and images with Xan, Cade spends most of the book physically separate from him and is forced to connect with other people in order to reach him. Along the way she also begins to discover her individual purpose in life, and realizes the importance of all different kinds of connections and relationships. She grows as a character in learning to trust others and find harmony with them, and the other characters learn to be patient with her shortcomings as well.
The writing style was the biggest thing that bothered me about this book. This author seriously abuses the one-sentence-paragraph “technique”, and also has a tendency to scatter obscure similes everywhere. The problem with the similes is not that they are obscure or original, as the images they evoke are usually pretty clear. The problem is that they make the reader pause to create a picture in moments when we should be so sucked in to the tension of the moment that we forget we are reading rather than experiencing what’s going on.
There is also the overuse of musical metaphors. Cade is a musician down to her very bones, and music is all that has kept her alive ever since she could remember. I understand why she might think about everything in terms of keys and chords and rhythms, but using that as a framework for every description got old pretty fast. There were also certain aspects of the plot which seemed a bit cheesy or overdone, but as the worst of these were part of a twist at the end, I feel much more forgiving toward them than I did at first.
On the whole, I enjoyed Entangled more than I expected. The ending was fairly open, so I wonder if there will be a sequel. If so, I wouldn’t mind finding out what happens next. Check out Entangled when it hits bookstore shelves, October 2013!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

Started Reading