The Styling Librarian's Reviews > Seeing Red

Seeing Red by Kathryn Erskine

1941055

bookshelves: favorites, historical-fiction, high-school, middle-school, pyp-connections

Seeing Red by Kathryn Erskine – Historical Fiction, 6th grade and up (I know in some reviews it has 5th grade for the level but the topics are more of a middle school level in my opinion.) Released in October – I felt quite honored to read this book by the powerful Kathryn Erskine who creates touching, thoughtful books. I wasn’t sure what to expect but apprecaited her approach to the perspective of a young adolescent boy whose father recently passed away. Red is a pretty powerful character set in a situation in the 70′s that is wraught in racism, especially in a town that is fighting segregation blatantly and chases those who disagree with their point of view out of town. I appreciate how characters, even the lovely mom, grow through the story, and help focus you in on forgiveness, ignorance, and hope. Just beautiful message of how you can make a difference in the world, even in small steps. I really, really loved reading this. After reading this book, I couldn’t stop thinking, thinking, thinking about it… I really wasn’t up for reading anything else for a while. I would connect this book to A Wreath for Emmett Till by Marilyn Nelson. Powerful.
Here are two quotes that I couldn’t stop rereading from Seeing Red:
“That’s when I realized that me and Mama had opposite ways of grieving. She loved Daddy so much that, without him, she was like the shell of a snail that’d lost its living inside part. Like a shell you’d put on your nightstand, sitting there doing nothing until it got covered with Bazooka wrappers and a busted whistle and the baseball cards that aren’t worth putting in the album, and your momma would come in your room and say, “Boys. I just don’t understand them,” and throw it all out, even the shell.”…”
“So everyone just sits there and says nothing? How’s anything ever going to get better?”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seeing Red.

September 7, 2013 – Started Reading