Victoria Zagar's Reviews > Falling Apart

Falling Apart by Kathleen  Hayes

Markon is a model owned by the Gonos Corp. who's suffering terrible nightmares. He's afraid to tell his boyfriend Rasen because he thinks Rasen only loves his perfection. But sooner or later he'll have to break down and reveal the truth - that the Gonos Corp is torturing him with a chip in his brain because he overheard a secret that concerns the very fate of the world itself.

I really enjoyed this contribution to the Love Has No Boundaries event. I'm a total sucker for dystopian stories, so this one was high up on my reading list. It certainly didn't disappoint, even if it ended a little suddenly and uncertainly. I would definitely describe this one as a HFN, so if you absolutely have to know the eventual fate of the characters you read about, this one may not be your cup of tea. There's room for a sequel and I would certainly read it.

I thought the world was interesting and Markon's secret definitely turns the whole story on its head in a good way. Rasen turns out to be a lot more understanding than Markon thinks and eventually is the one who guides him through the things to come. I was glad to see Markon was wrong about him. The Gonos Corp. definitely come off as good villains, screwing everyone else over while protecting their own interests.

If you like dystopian stories or are curious about the genre, I highly recommend Falling Apart. It manages to be original while still portraying a vision of a frightening future dominated by a dictatorial world power.

This review was cross-posted to Infinite Love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Falling Apart.

September 6, 2013 – Shelved