Rashika (is tired)'s Reviews > Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George

This is going to be a real quick overview since I don't have much time right now but I cannot hold in all my feels for this book.

This is a dark re-telling but at the same time it's kind of fluffy. It has that fairy tale feel to it (since well it is a re-telling) so not everything will always line up but somehow this story still charmed me to no ends.

The romance could be seen as insta, no doubt, but it didn't bother me. I enjoyed it if only I wished there was a little more development going on but that's what I mean when I say this is kind of fluffy. There are some things that are done in a very fairy-taleish way but it works.

I mean with a soldier turned gardner who is to save the day with his epic knitting skills, how can you not help but be charmed?

The characters, were so adorable too! Both Rose and Galen are mature but at the same time, they seem innocent too in this childish way that is just so hard to put into words.

The secondary characters were SO SO FUN. They made this book so much more funner to read.

The plot, I'd say could use a little more polishing but at the end of the day, this was a highly entertaining read and I couldn't help but be charmed.

This book in general, as you can conclude from my overview, is somewhat hard for me to describe or explain because it seems almost contradictory. It's dark, no doubt, with it's setting and just the general atmosphere of the book but at the same time, it'll make you smile and giggle and just leave you with a huge smile on your face, the kind you'd get from reading a fluffy book.

It's a quick read too so if you're not sure about it, I'd still tell you to give it a shot because you might just end up liking it!

With all that said, I have no idea what to rate this book so I am just going to leave it as it is.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Princess of the Midnight Ball.

September 6, 2013 – Shelved
September 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
May 10, 2014 – Started Reading
May 10, 2014 –
page 54
19.29% "There is something very compelling about a male lead who knits his own socks."
May 10, 2014 –
page 78
27.86% "I read that bit aloud in a super creepy accent :P"
May 11, 2014 –
page 175
62.5% "HE IS GOING TO USE HIS EPIC KNITTING SKILLS TO SAVE THE DAY.\n Could this guy get any better?"
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: brain-candy
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: good-characters
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: ya
May 11, 2014 – Shelved as: totally-worth-it
May 11, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

message 1: by nick (last edited May 11, 2014 01:32PM) (new)

nick He knits? *swoons*
Remember that book I was reading on Friday, Unraveled? Well, the guy does something shitty to the girl and the girl loves knitting, so he takes up knitting classes with these old ladies so he can make something for her. And this guy is big, manly Marine! Can you say swoon? :D

Rashika (is tired) I AM SWOONING RIGHT NOW
Man. Men who knit just take the cake.
Okay men who blush take the cake.
You just want to tackle hug them and not let them go

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Why haven't I heard of this before. The phrase 'dark retelling' and what you said about the romance sounds wonderful. I'm going to look this up right now!

Rashika (is tired) YAY! :D
Plus the romance is pretty cute :P
I think you'll love it! :)

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more Hey, this is the 12 Dancing Princesses retelling, isn't it? B/c that may or may not be my #2 favorite fairy tale . . .

Rashika (is tired) IT IS! :D
Really???? which one is your favorite??

Rashika (is tired) Rapunzel was awesome too!! :D
My favorite is Beauty and the Beast. Also because that is my second favorite disney movie :P

I've never read the original tales.. I'd have nightmares forever :P

Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more See I totally did. In the original Rapunzel, the witch finds out that the prince has been visiting the tower b/c Rapunzel gets PREGNANT. With TWINS ;) But Rapunzel is one of the few originals that actually has a somewhat happy ending.

Rashika (is tired) Yeah I wikipediad them all and if I were to read the original tales, my childhood would be ruined :P