Adrianna's Reviews > La Verdadera Historia De Los Tres Cerditos!

La Verdadera Historia De Los Tres Cerditos! by Jon Scieszka

Sep 15, 2009

bookshelves: children, picture-book, spanish-language
Recommended to Adrianna by: Spanish Club
Recommended for: Anyone who speaks or is learning Spanish
Read on November 09, 2005

The Spanish Outreach Club at Humboldt State University recommended we bring books to a 4th grade Spanish class. As college volunteers, we read picture books to the students. I had read this book before in English but reading a translation is a completely different experience. I didn't realize how much fun I would have until I was in the classroom with the students sitting around me. As I read the book, I would pause so the students could take a moment to understand what I was reading. The teacher also asked the students questions about words which coincided with their vocabulary lists. The book is a great teaching material because of its humor and the fact that it offers students a retelling of a common tale, "The Three Little Pigs." This version presents the Wolf's perspective, which shows children how stories change when told by different narrators. If you read this book, you will find yourself bowling over with laughter at various points. I recommend reading both the English and Spanish in order to have a good comparison of how translations can change a story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read La Verdadera Historia De Los Tres Cerditos!.

message 1: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama How cool that you read to the kids, and help them learn another language as well. My kids are growing up bilingual and I am here to tell you the main thing that keeps their English up, while living in Japan and going to Japanese school every day, is my reading to them in English every night at bedtime.
By the way, the Three Little Pigs is "Sambiki No Kobuta" in Japanese!

Adrianna I am glad someone enjoyed a review I wrote! I have been transferring my book reviews from my geocities website over here, and it's been a pretty slow process! Teaching kids multiple langauges is so important! It's always best to start young! I like the suggestion to read to them before bedtime. Thanks for sharing the translation of the three little pigs too! I hope to visit Japan in the future, and retake some of my Japanese classes before then. :)

Ronyell I really loved this story too! I'll have to read the Spanish edition!

message 4: by Gaijinmama (new)

Gaijinmama Here's a funny one...I teach English at a Japanese university and in one of my classes, most of the students are Spanish majors. One of them even lived in Paraguay when he was a child. How's that for international? I haven't had a chance to speak Spanish for years but I'm remembering lots of vocabulary and they think it's hilarious when, in the middle of English class I say something like "Dame su tarea por favor!"