Stacia (the 2010 club)'s Reviews > Prodigy

Prodigy by Marie Lu

So what if it took me 11 days to finish Prodigy? At least I'm finally willing to look at any book again. I call that progress on a small scale, haha.

I know that many people felt like Prodigy was a step-up over the first installment in the trilogy, and I can say that it did have quite a few areas of improvement over Legend when it came to showing more world detail. There was a great amount of time spent on bringing the bigger picture into focus, and it probably satisfied many of those who felt as if Legend was skimping out on the details of what made this government and world tick.

It's probably strange that I was left feeling nostalgic for the simplicity of Legend. The relationship drama and all of the Tess nonsense didn't sit well with me. There's still something about reading these characters which feels like I'm watching kids play dress-up in their parents' clothing. Maybe that's the point the author is trying to make. But I'm still perplexed over the contradiction of these characters being completely innocent over affairs of the heart, yet they're still able to thwart the enemies in their paths and help the colonies work toward overthrowing the powers that be.

It's all so ass-backwards to my mind. I can't say Legend started the trend of teenage boys who have lost their hormonal drive in favor of helping the greater good, but it's kind of weeeeiiirrddd. I'm not talking about the need for heavy romance (many don't care to see it in sci-fi). I just know that teen boys are well...teen boys. And that teens in general are never going to fully arrive at an evolutionary stage where they're so focused on fixing the world that they don't have normal um...drives?

We're seeing teenagers tackle adult problems, but stepping backwards emotionally into early teen relationship mindsets. Are they kids or are they adults? I'm sure that some people would argue that this question is part of the outcome of kids being thrown into an adult world, but I'm not buying the way it's being spun. While Day has managed to hold on to some of his charm, June has become flat and emotionally unappealing to me. I'd almost liken it to being robotic.

But...but... The last section of this book...it really pulled at my emotions. I thought it was a good call on Ms. Lu's part to do what she did on the June/Day front. This move had me rooting nervously for the characters all over again, the way that I did in book 1.

Here's hoping that the finale will bring me back to what I liked about Legend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigy.

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Stephanie This is one of my favorite dystopian series. I hope you love it!

Mai is a Happy Bibliophile ooh.. i think you'll like this one, Stacia! Enjoy. :)

message 3: by SheLove2Read (new)

SheLove2Read I haven't read much this past week either. A few pages here and there. New job + part time job + family issues have been keeping me too tired to read much.

Stacia (the 2010 club) It took me almost 2 weeks, but I did manage to get this read, haha.

I think I would have liked it a lot better if I'd read it one sitting. Breaking it up the way I did caused me to lose some of the momentum. But I still look forward to book 3. I'm glad that the trilogy will be wrapped up before the end of the year.

Looks like a couple of you have been where I'm at with the reading. I hope to start getting back to reading this week. *cross fingers* that I can manage to find a way.

message 5: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday Oi! Welcome back? :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Maybe? I don't know. I might try out another book and see how it goes. Perhaps Plush. Were you going to read that at all?

message 7: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday Girl in a band... Meh. It really didn't pique my interest to begin with then I read a negative review so... I dunno.

Unteachable by Leah Raeder?

Stacia (the 2010 club) I'm scared because I keep reading the same student/teacher stuff over and over. I know everyone likes it, but I'm afraid I'll see repeating instances.

message 9: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Sep 17, 2013 10:03PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday Didn't bring anything new in terms of story but I liked the delivery.

Its crazy but I'm getting tired now of male POV, imagine that.

Stacia (the 2010 club) I find that I prefer male PoV's written from men more than I do from women, other than a few exceptions like HMCNecromancer and White Cat, which I enjoyed. I generally only like male pov's in grittier books. It rarely works for me in heavy-duty romance because women seem to write men sounding like how women would want them to sound, instead of writing them how they'd actually sound.

message 11: by Ash Wednesday (last edited Sep 17, 2013 10:09PM) (new)

Ash Wednesday True. Either they end up with the funny, snarky douchebag or... Yeah, that's usually how female authors write male povs. Which is fun but in succession it gets tiring.

And yet I'm still reading one now o.O Winger by Andrew Smith
Though this one is male-penned.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Wow. I hadn't heard of that book before, but of my 4 friends who've read it, 3 of them gave the book 5 stars and the other person gave it a 4.

message 13: by Ash Wednesday (new)

Ash Wednesday I stumbled on a mock 2014 Printz list (or atleast I think its a mock list - because I have no idea) here in listopia and this was number 2. And the blurb is kinda interesting.

I just hate people spoiler shelving x.x

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies Baby steps! :) There's nothing like a nice vacation (even from things you love) to make you appreciate it more when you return.

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thanks Soraya. :)

Khanh wrote: "Baby steps! :) There's nothing like a nice vacation (even from things you love) to make you appreciate it more when you return."

So true.

message 16: by Hershey (new) - added it

Hershey Nice review :)

Stacia (the 2010 club) Thank you Hershey!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally agree with the There's still something about reading these characters which feels like I'm watching kids play dress-up in their parents' clothing."