Ceri's Reviews > The Road to You

The Road to You by Marilyn Brant

bookshelves: young-adult, mystery

This was a bit of a departure for me from my usual genres; I'd classify it as a new adult coming of age mystery. Best friends Gideon and Jeremy disappeared two years ago when they were aged 18. They are assumed to be dead, but no bodies have ever been found, and not even the car they were travelling in. Life for their families has been put on hold to an extent, they don't know what happened to the boys and they are unable to move on - just existing rather than living.

The story opens with Aurora, Gideon's teenaged sister, opening a box. The key has recently been placed amongst her items and she finds Gideon's diary. But this is the thing; it's been updated in the last two weeks in Gideon's handwriting. Gideon and his sister Aurora shared a love of puzzles and codes, and she feels that he's sent her a number of coded messages, so she sets about piecing together the clues of just what happened to Gideon and Jeremy with the help of Jeremy's older brother Donovan.

Aurora is an interesting character; she's obviously intelligent but more of an observer of life than an active participant. She's very much alone in her small town existence but this mystery hanging over her family has stopped her from moving on with her life. Donovan firmly believes that his brother has died, but he wants to know what happened to Jeremy and he also wants to make sure Aurora doesn't get in over her head. Aurora and Donovan have to travel to a number of locations, trying to trace their brothers' paths. This helps both of them find closure in relation to their brothers' disappearances and Aurora particularly also has an emotional journey, coming to know herself better, a real coming of age journey.

One thing that I particularly liked about this book was the fact that it was set in the late 70s. We are so spoilt with the internet and the availability of information these days and it really gave the book a different feel from something set in contemporary times, with the characters having to look in phonebooks, go to libraries to look at microfiche and make physical visits to places rather than just ask Google. There are a number of references to Nancy Drew in this book, and I felt it was an apt comparison, it was very like a Nancy Drew, but for an older audience. If you were buying this for a younger reader you'd be ok - there are a very few references to sex and no bad language that I can recall. I enjoyed exercising my mind trying to work out what had happened. It wasn't too easy to work out what had happened (for me at least!), I generally came to conclusions at about the same time that Aurora did, so it got my mind working. I really enjoyed this book and I'd recommend it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Road to You.

September 6, 2013 – Shelved
September 6, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2013 – Started Reading
October 27, 2013 –
64.0% "My spidey-senses are tingling, something's afoot!"
October 27, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult