Mont'ster's Reviews > The Bridges of Madison County

The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller

Oct 02, 2007

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook, fiction

I didn't really "read" the book - actually this was one of the first "audiobooks" that I heard. The thing that I remember most about this "book" is the circumstance of my listening to it.

Our family was on a road trip (vacation or something) and while we were driving down the road I kept overhearing my parents doing the (Monty Python-esque) "Yes it is / No it isn't" argument. When we stopped for lunch my dad walked up to me with a couple audiocassettes in his hand and said "Here, listen to this".

Whatever I was reading wasn't particularly interesting so when we started up again I listened to the tapes. At our next stop my dad asked me:
"Did you listen to that whole book?"
"Yes."
"Is it true?"
"I guess so."
Then my dad turned, looked at my mom, rolled his eyes and, as he walked back to the car said "How could the two of you possibly think that's a true story?!?!"

It struck me as plausible but you have to remember that I was young and bored. Dad didn't ask me if I thought it was "good" - just "possible". I don't think I could make it through the whole book and it's a short book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bridges of Madison County.

message 1: by Benito (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:55PM) (new)

Benito The book struck me as kinda like some of the emails I get today, too good to be true; Pop