Kristin Aker Howell's Reviews > Anatomy of a Boyfriend

Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

bookshelves: humor, ya

** spoiler alert ** Dom, falls in love with Wes during their senior year of high school. The two have sex on prom night, but grow apart when they attend colleges in different states, eventually splitting on Christmas break. This is a story that portrays graphic, premarital sex in all its awkward and painful glory. This is not a book for families who insist on abstinence. Or maybe it is. The realism could potentially discourage any sexual activity whatsoever. Even your own.
Librarians can add this book to any list including Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson because it portrays, certainly, a better first experience for a young woman. Other topics covered include positive use of social media, long-distance dating, masturbation, oral sex, intercourse, break-ups, virginity, college entrances, and orgasm. If that last sentence was too much for you, this is not your book.
As a mom, I would be pleased to have my teenaged girls read this book. (They never will, now that I have.) I think it portrays a healthy teenage relationship. Dom and Wes love each other. They have fairly long bouts of healthy communication. Their sex is safe and absolutely consensual. Dom has a remarkably good relationship with her parents: she tells them about her feelings. Most parents wish for that trust. Even though Anatomy of a Boyfriend doesn’t end in marriage, ultimately, Dom learns to please herself. And that was my wink to those of you who have read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anatomy of a Boyfriend.

Finished Reading
September 5, 2013 – Shelved
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: humor
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Leanna (new) - added it

Leanna Aker Sounds interesting! Put it on my list.