Amberle Husbands's Reviews > Scary Stories Treasury

Scary Stories Treasury by Alvin Schwartz

bookshelves: favorites, short-stories, childrens

I spent my parents' hard earned money at scholastic book fairs, as an elementary school kid, on all three of the individual "Scary Stories" collections. I was thrilled the other day when I saw this treasury in the bookstore, and couldn't resist bringing it home. It combines all three of the collections, and includes the amazing illustrations by Stephen Gammell that absolutely scared the bejeezus out of me as a child!

I have to admit, reading through the stories now, that even as a kid these must have been pretty vanilla. I guess the fact that they have whole chapters dedicated to stories where the last line instructs you to jump at one of your friends yelling "AAAAAAAGHGHGHGH!" should have given it away. Still, there are a lot of stories that honor the old, classic urban legends; you know, phantom hitch-hikers, hook-handed psychopaths on lover's lane, face-nesting spiders, and dog-sized rats from Mexico. The short story, "The Wendigo", pays homage to Algernon Blackwood in a way that was lost on me as a child; it gave me chills for far, far longer than any of the others.

The real reason this book has such an unshakable soft-spot in my heart, though?

The drawings... For goodness' sake, the drawings! Stephen Gammell's artwork gave me nightmares back then that still make me shiver today. Yet, even as a kid, I was addicted to them. When I was six, I wanted to tattoo myself with them. Today... I just want to paper the walls of my office with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scary Stories Treasury.

Finished Reading