Ari's Reviews > Split Second

Split Second by Kasie West

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal

The first half was fabulous, the second one left me confused (too much convenience and I didn't actually buy the resolution). Anyways, a fun read with a lot of action and some interesting do-overs. :)

THE LOVE, LOVE, LOVE …

The characters are as great as before.

We get to see both Addie and Laila coping with what happened in the first book, we get to see their friendship shine through all that darkness. These two can not be any more different (and this goes also for their romances), but their friendship is really beautiful, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Addie, Trevor, Laila and Conor are all adorable – I loved them as individuals, I also loved the first interactions inside the couples (Addie and Trevor’s first meetings, Laila making such a fool of herself).

The narration is as great as usually, you get lost into the story and can’t put the book down until the end. It has this urgent feel attached, it creates this need for you to read page after page in a hurry, still not wanting for the story to ever end.

The last bonus point comes from the fact that we get to punch Derek.. repeatedly – how cool is that, huh?

LOVE CAN CHANGE IN A SPLIT SECOND …

To love “Pivot Point” the way I did and having read “On the Fence” right before “Split Second” didn’t do me a lot of good. It’s just that the expectations were sky-high and the last impression was only of: “hmm, that much awesome development to end it in such a mess of a happy ending?”

Because yes, the ending was good nonetheless, but also it was the only thing I didn’t get to wrap my head around. It sounded too complicated and it had too many plot holes in it:

- convenience - the resolution was too quick - there was a lot of plot development until it wasn't anymore. It seemed like the author took the easiest path out of the complexity of her own story and I can say that I was not happy about it.

- there was too much personality switch in a particular character,I can't talk about it without major spoilers, so I will leave it at that.

- the romantic stories - though I loved the individual characters, their love stories didn't impress me much (which is a shame as Connor might be my favourite boy in this story and I was so eager to relive the romance between Addie and Trevor *sigh*)

- and what about the stairs-vision?
We did learn that Addie could manipulated time in some other ways, yes, but what was really its purpose (as it was some sort of one-time-only moment)? Somehow it felt like a convenient power never to be used again.

Final rating: 3.5 stars

Happy midnight reading!

*Find the full review at: ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Split Second.

September 5, 2013 – Shelved
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: soon-to-come
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: paranormal
February 7, 2014 – Shelved as: to-read
February 11, 2014 – Started Reading
February 11, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Samhy (new) - added it

Samhy Your first sentence reflects what I feel.