Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Oct 01, 2007

bookshelves: classics, historical-fiction, 2015, fiction, literary-fiction, audio-book
Read from August 02 to 15, 2015

I really enjoyed Mockingbird, and it was nice to listen to it again, because the last time I read it was in high school. I was really fuzzy on the details, and there was a lot I had forgotten in the years since then. I really don't have a lot to say about Mockingbird on it's own, but I did really like the story and the town. I did see hints of Watchman in it, and I did see glimmers of some of the racial tension we see in Watchman, and quite honestly, I'm not sure if it's because it was always there and I never picked up on or if it's because Watchman was fresh on my mind. Mockingbird did make me appreciate Watchman a lot, even though I read it after Watchman.

I did like Sissy Spacek as a narrator, and it was actually sort of soothing listening to her. And it was soothing in a good way, if that makes any sense.

Rating: Honestly, I'm not sure. I originally had a 5 star rating, and part of me wants to keep it at 5, because it is a great story, and it holds up so well, but I don't know that I love it enough to give it 5 stars. So...maybe 4 stars, because I do really like it.

08/02/2015 marked as: currently-reading