Nick's Reviews > 52, Vol. 4

52, Vol. 4 by Geoff Johns

Sep 14, 2009

bookshelves: graphic-novels
Read from September 15 to 19, 2011

The final volume of 52 is a nonstop thrill ride, where each of our main character's plot lines wrap up with time to spare. We have Steel's triumph over Lex Luthor that happens fairly early on, Ralph Dibny's fate (with a touching epilogue in the series final pages that brings the Elongated Man's purpose home full throttle), Renee Montoya's soul searching that leads her to the answer to Vic Sage's question and World War III, which centers around Black Adam and the mad scientists of Oolong Island. All of this leads to the final issue that sees Booster Gold and Rip Hunter save the Multiverse from Mister Mind. The revelation that the entire series main baddie was a giant bug didn't sit well with me in issue form, but like so many other problems I had with 52 back when it was first released in 2006-2007, I found them not to be a problem in collected form. The Multiverse segment is obviously meant to be the cornerstone of the series, but it honestly felt like a final beat this time around, not more important than any of the other story links. Looking back on this series it is amazing what Geoff Johns, Grant Morrison, Greg Rucka and Mark Waid were able to accomplish. In a medium that changes monthly, they were able to craft a weekly comic book series of high quality, featuring little known characters, and not only tell a compelling, thrilling story, but catapult many of those characters to the forefront of the DCU. A job well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 52, Vol. 4.