Hazel (Stay Bookish)'s Reviews > The Rule of Thirds

The Rule of Thirds by Chantel Guertin

bookshelves: netgalley, from-bea-15, own-copy-read, young-adult, paperback

Originally posted at Stay Bookish

I’ll give it straight to you: I loved this book. I was not acquainted with the author before but when I saw the lovely cover (hello to that gorgeous vintage TLR) and read the synopsis- my gut (which I trust most of the time) told me I was going to enjoy this. And I did! Boy, did I enjoy it!

He punches me lightly in the arm. Punch. In. The. Arm. Yessss… Dace doesn’t know what she’s talking about. Punch in the arm = total, uncontrollable, physical attraction.

Did I want to jump inside this book and become best friends with the characters? YES, YES, YES! They all had their own idiosyncrasies and we get to see their individualities unravel at a good pace. I’ve noticed that contemporaries that focus on character development turn out slow and this was not the case at all with The Rule of Thirds. While this was a short read, I felt that the book was able to accomplish a lot!

“But then what? I get there and where are you?”

Now let me tell you about how much I loved the main character. Philadelphia “Pippa” Greene was fantastic. Me and her, we’re almost completely alike to the point that I’d declare her my soul sister. So if you’re wondering if she was relatable or not, my answer would be HELL YES! While this was mostly because of her love for photography, I found that her grief was another factor. I’ve known grief before and the way the author incorporated this issue in the story was really amazing. Grief can get overwhelming but it was handled well in this book. I admired how the story remained light despite having to deal with a (potentially) dark matter.

Concentrate on the rule of thirds, so you don’t concentrate on anything else.

Still, the main reason that I am so enthusiastic about this book was photography. If you guys don’t know yet, aside from books, one of the things I’m most passionate about is photography. Although I enjoy breaking the rules when it comes to taking pictures, the Rule Of Thirds is something I always try to keep in mind. The Rule Of Thirds is an actual photography rule that lots of photographers emphasize since it is crucial for composition of images. The photography aspect was prominent enough for me, since Pippa was always with a camera. More importantly, it was believable and realistic- from the special film treatment to the photo club. I was just so fond of getting glimpses of photography through the Pippa’s point of view and was even more delighted that we had so much in common.

“Boys love a healthy competition. They’re like soda. Some are pepsi, always bring to be better than Coke. The Cokes know they’re the best, but are always on their A-game because the Pepsis are hanging around.”
“What about if they’re root beer?”
“Root beers are the wild card. A little crazy.”

Other aspects that I took delight in were friendship and romance. Although I wish we got to see more of both (can’t get enough!!!), I had fun reading about them. Pippa’s best friend, Dace, was quirky! She’s an aspiring model and while she had her own drama, I thought she was a pretty cool bff! As for the romance, we get a cute little love triangle here, you guys. While I’ve never been in one before (thank god for that), I sympathized with Pippa and her angst over her love interests- a boy who shared her passion but remained mysterious and a crush she hasn’t been able to shake off for the longest time. The only thing I can say is that one is definitely McCuter cuter than the other.

“So, second time you’ve fainted with me. I’m starting worry about the effect I have on you. Every guy wants the ladies to swoon, but this is a bit much.”

Judging from all the laughing and swooning I went through when I read this book, I have no doubts about my feelings for The Rule Of Thirds. I just feel like this book was meant for me! And I so recommend this book to you guys, especially if you enjoy photography or want a quick, light-hearted read! This wonderful YA debut novel is definitely on my mental list of super favorite contemporaries!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rule of Thirds.

September 3, 2013 – Shelved