Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > 3:59

Sep 02, 2013

bookshelves: 2013, young-adult, paranormal

MY THOUGHTS
LOVED IT

Josie is having a bad day and it just seems to get worse. She just found out her parents are divorcing, her science experiment that she hopes will lead her to dream college isn't cooperating and her boyfriend, Nick, cheated on her -- with her "best" friend. Now it seems the whole high school is picking on her, making snide jokes as well as lots of typical whispers. Oh, and her brother has cancer. Yep, her life sucks. So when she sees another Josie in her bedroom mirror, one who is a bit prettier, a bit blonder, a girl known as Jo. Seeing another world, she wonders if she can put her universe back together and have a chance at normal again, even for a day. Meanwhile, there is a serial killer on the loose.

Jo, the girl in the mirror, is actually Josie in a parallel universe, one where she isn't walked on, and Josie finds that their lives link up every twelve hours at 3:59. Except everything isn't always greener on the other side. Josie finds that even though she has her boyfriend back and he treats her much better. Instead of a serial killer, there are The Nox, which are the things of nightmares. So even with a better version of herself, there are still downsides.

There are a lot of twists and turns in this story, some of which are surprising and some I guessed. I guess this would be a sci-fi thriller, with a good balance between the two. I love those sciencey things! The whole idea of Josie excelling at math and science is something I adore in female characters. There needs to be a lot more of those! I really have to applaud Gretchen for coming up with this plot. The characters are all given the chance to show both sides. I could really see this as a movie like Freaky Friday in the Twilight Zone. I seem to have been reading a lot of books in this genre lately.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 3.

September 2, 2013 – Started Reading