Rane's Reviews > The Governess Club: Claire

The Governess Club by Ellie Macdonald

1987431

bookshelves: historical, keeper, regency-napoleonic-era

The first in the The Goveress Club series, Clarie kicks it off with a sweet romance with a governess Claire Bannister trying to hold on to parts of her past while a romance starts to bloom between her and the mysterious new tutor Jacob Knightly whose a lord in hiding. Between romance,crazy kids, secrets and some nice toast this had a little bit of everything to make it such an enjoyable read.

Being a novella Macdonald did an excellent job building the relationship between Claire and Jacob quickly while the reader notices the change both have in each other lives and outlook. I was very much convinced that they both cared and loved each other with a nice added build up of sexual tension and a great love scene that flowed with the story and didn't hinder it or make it just about lust but about love!

I did feel the ending did lack somewhat of a punch when the truth of who Jacob is came out. The period of separation wasn't dragged on but I would have liked it out all together as I felt it didn't added any needed drama to an already fun story.

This debut kicked off wonderfully as am looking forward to more from this series and author!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Governess Club.

September 2, 2013 – Shelved
September 25, 2013 –
September 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
September 26, 2013 – Shelved as: keeper
September 26, 2013 – Shelved as: regency-napoleonic-era

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* There has been mixed reviews on this one 3 stars only on most that Ive seen thanks for your thoughts. Still will give it a try.

Rane Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "There has been mixed reviews on this one 3 stars only on most that Ive seen thanks for your thoughts. Still will give it a try."

It was such a sweet HR with just the right amount of everything to make it a very enjoyable read

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Rane wrote: "Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "There has been mixed reviews on this one 3 stars only on most that Ive seen thanks for your thoughts. Still will give it a try."

It was such a sweet HR with just..."

Good to know thanks Rane:)

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary I just came across this book and sounds kinda interesting. How is the historical accuracy Rane? No glaring 21st centuryisms or clunky use of period language? I'm a tiny bit concerned that the hero is an said to be an Earl when he's the second son of a Duke and they don't take courtesy titles...

Rane Mary wrote: "I just came across this book and sounds kinda interesting. How is the historical accuracy Rane? No glaring 21st centuryisms or clunky use of period language? I'm a tiny bit concerned that the hero ..."

It's really the courtesy title that got to me the most overall Mary.
He's the second son so he should be called "Lord" Jacob Knightly. There has been cases where the Duke (for example) can give his lesser titles to his sons upon their birth so Jacob being second son took the title of Earl.
But I've never read or heard that the lesser title would be taken away with the birth of said 1st son (the Marquess) son. Even if that were true he would still be given the title Lord not Mr.
Other then that little mix up I really enjoyed the easy pace of the book.

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary Thanks Rane! yeah I thought it was odd that something as big as that slipped through the research of the author and the editor. It's well known all other male offspring get the short end of the stick but I didn't know that a Duke could override that and give Jacob a title. Cool, I'll add this to my toread pile!

Slightly off-topic but you should check out a movie called 'The Abduction Club' which is about second sons in the Georgian period, it's cute! :)

Rane Mary wrote: "Thanks Rane! yeah I thought it was odd that something as big as that slipped through the research of the author and the editor. It's well known all other male offspring get the short end of the sti..."

Ooh! Thanks for the heads up Mary! *goes off the netflix*

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary let me know if you like it! ^__^ Matthew Rhys is in it and he's going to be the next Darcy!

Rane Mary wrote: "let me know if you like it! ^__^ Matthew Rhys is in it and he's going to be the next Darcy!"

reallly? A new P&P version or some sort of spin off?

message 10: by Mary (new)

Mary It's an upcoming BBC production of 'Death comes to Pemberley'. I'm not a sequel/spin-off reader so I haven't read the book but I'll never say no to another Darcy ;) Rhys has aged alot since Abduction Club though haha