Valerie Caraotta's Reviews > Off Balanced

Off Balanced by Zachary Fenell

F 50x66
Sep 02, 2013

I just finished this book inhaling several breaths of fresh air. I feel rejuvenated, like I have taken a personal walk with author Zachary Fenell, though the journey had me in some dark caves along the way. Enter Off Balanced and you will have entered the real raw reality of how life can be with someone that has Cerebral Palsy. He will take you from his early elementary years through his college experience and along this roller coaster of a ride you will see how character is forged in the midst of pain. His surgery, obvious physical challenges, and loneliness in school with the questions "Why did God give me cerebral palsy?"and "What did I do to deserve such an ill-fated life?" would later change dramatically by a mindset that refused to be defined by his disability.

This is more than a book about Zachary Fenell but a book about principles and life decisions we all have to make whether in the valley of despair or on the housetop. If you need encouragement read through the entirety of this work. It will benefit you greatly in the following ways:
~ Allow you to unashamedly admit truth and feelings
~To understand that some things in life need to be attempted when afraid
~Realizing the only real limitations are what you place on yourself.
~To see the value in risk taking and how it can take you places, meeting others along the way
~Encourage those darkened areas of doubt and low self-esteem

Because of Zachary's determination in college, he would begin to erase past heartache and refuse to be defined by others and his limitations. His question "Who am I ?" at the Founders Week Talent Show was more than a play on words. Rather, it appears a prophetic declaration today to all of us when staring straight ahead at our Goliath. Whether you call it a second wind or a newfound zeal for life, choices await us all. I am confident his testimony will ring loudly as the years advance. He knew disappointment, suffering, and despair and now is in a prime position to bless others with the clarion call of hope.

Be changed by this easy to read conversation-like format. Author Fenell also has a blog page and regularly contributes written pieces as an advocate for those with disabilities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Off Balanced.

Started Reading