C.G. Drews's Reviews > This Song Will Save Your Life

This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales

bookshelves: 5-star, read-2013, contemporary, young-adult

If I could only say two things in this review, this is what I’d say:

1) This is an amazingly written with unbelievably good characters that tells a story you will never (ever) recover from.
2) Some books feel like they were written specifically for you and, for me, this is one of those books.

Phewf. That wasn’t so hard. (I’m sweating this review, I really am, because how do you possibly convey the awesomeness of 280 pages in a review?) Freaking amazing doesn’t cover it. It’s like, REAL. Very real.

First off: Elise. She’s 15 (nearly 16) and a loser. Everyone at school hates her. Besides being in the same school all her life, she’s been dubbed uncool since fourth grade (seriously, I’m with Elise, who does that in fourth grade?) and has no friends. None. Void. Yup. I loved how we’re presented with a character who could be out of any book – but this time it’s believable. Usually, in the book’s I’ve read, this character would be the “new girl” trying to fit in. In THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE, we get a character who tries so dang hard to be liked. And it’s been that way all her life. That’s depressing, and it’s awesome. It’s truthful.

The other characters? First of all: Char. He’s hot and amazing and the DJ at “Start” which is a pop-up-nightclub. (view spoiler) I appreciate how he was written. He’s very human, very guy, very doesn’t think beyond what he thinks needs thinking about. Then Vicky. Also from the nightclub. 18, punk rocker, needs a break to get her band on the stage, so FULL of life. She’s amazingly written. She doesn’t drown Elise’s character. Gosh, nothing could drown Elise. She compliments this book like nothing before. And she’s sweet and – gaaaah, just pass me the tissues and let’s move on, okay?

I adored the fact that Elise had loving parents. They were divorced, yes, but they were supportive and loving and tried to make sure their daughter had a good life. (Even if they didn’t really understand what she was going through.)

What I hated? ELISE’S HATEFUL AND HORRIBLE SCHOOL. I was homeschooled. I can’t speak from experience of schools were kids are bullied. Not physically, but mentally. And how it destroys them and they want to die. But I FELT the pain of this situation. I felt the horror of Elise debating where to sit on the bus to minimize uncoolness. I felt the agony of skipping lunch just to have a peaceful time at the library. The girls at school treated her like dirt. So man Mean Girls moments…so many…

So basically. I laughed. I cried. I read it in one-day. I was emotionally ruined by this book and oh, gosh, THANK YOU to the author. She is amazing. She writes in a way that’s so plain and clear and heartbreakingly beautiful.

My soul is destroyed. You should read this book and be destroyed with me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Song Will Save Your Life.

September 2, 2013 – Shelved
September 2, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 17, 2013 – Started Reading
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: read-2013
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

bird afdgkjahdfgjkahfgal; your review makes me so happy. I utterly LOVED this one.

C.G. Drews Bobbie wrote: "afdgkjahdfgjkahfgal; your review makes me so happy. I utterly LOVED this one."

I'm totally hung over. o.O It summed up so many things I think/feel...totally destroyed me. Love it.

C.G. Drews Layla wrote: "Sounds great! Is their any sexual content (as weird as this question may sound)?"

Yep, there's sexual content in it. No detailed scenes or anything like that, though. :)