Corrine's Reviews > Completely Smitten

Completely Smitten by Susan Mallery

2084774
Sep 12, 2009

bookshelves: e-book, contemporary, contemp-virgin-heroines, silhouette-special-edition, cop-bodyguard-miltary-pi-etc, road-adventure-quest
Read in September, 2009

Hands-down best Special Edition I've ever read. I don't normally give category length books 5 stars because typically they tend to not have the space to develop a really good story. This one proves that if you start off with a basic premise without trying to work in too many details, that a category-length book can be excellent.

Haley Foster is tired of being the good girl that everyone orders around. As a minister's daughter, she's spent her whole life doing exactly what people expect and never getting a chance to experience anything. When the fiance her father and his congregation has picked out for her expresses some last-minute doubts, she gets angry and sets out to do things she's never done: drink alcohol, dress in provocative clothes, wear makeup, cut her hair, and pick up men. And she runs away to eventually make it to Hawaii, starting out by driving to the Pacific Coast.

In Kansas, she runs across Kevin Harmon, U.S. Marshal. Kevin is in town delivering a prisoner to the federal pen and he wants nothing more to return to D.C. and his life there. The last thing he wants is to feel responsible for the beautiful naive woman who strikes up a conversation with him after he protects her. But when Kevin is injured helping out during a prison raid, and his mother calls him home to Possum Landing, TX, for some news she can't deliver over the phone, he can't help but take advantage of Haley's offer to drive him. They spend almost an entire week meandering through the states between, and of course, fall in love.

This was such a sweet story! It wasn't angsty or dark or complicated, it was just two people in a weird situation falling in love. Although Haley was unbelievably, absurdly naive for this day and age, it worked for her lifestyle, and I bought her and Kevin's connection and love. A-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Completely Smitten.

Dina This one sounds good! :)

message 2: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Great Review Corrine, I really love the title for some odd reason ;D

Corrine I do too :D And it really fits the story.

message 4: by Tammy (new)

Tammy Gosh can I ever relate to this story! I was born in Kansas and grew up a preacher's kid. I'll have to check it out.

Great review C!

message 5: by Angelc (new)

Angelc Great review, Corrine! This looks like an awesome book!

Corrine Thanks, everyone!