Marianne MC's Reviews > On the Night of the Seventh Moon

On the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt

Sep 12, 2009

Read in January, 1983

I read nearly all of Victoria Holt's books, but this was by far my favorite. I still remember the excitement of the mystery and love story. I just recently ordered my own copy to read it again. Her books have clean romance they are a simplified version of the types of stories Jane Austin writes. They often have a lower class girl/governess who falls in love with someone out of her league. There is often a mystery of murder or kidnapping to go along with it. They are set in castles or on the moor's with fancy dresses and parties. They are just fun easy books to entertain yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Night of the Seventh Moon.

07/15/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Eve (new)

Eve I read tons of Victoria Holt novels when i was in highschool. I loved them!

message 2: by Diana (new)

Diana If you're interested, I started a Victoria Holt (and her plethora of pen-names) group. Looking to discuss her work with other interested readers. :) Thanks

Marianne MC Diana wrote: "If you're interested, I started a Victoria Holt (and her plethora of pen-names) group. Looking to discuss her work with other interested readers. :) Thanks

It's been a long time since I've read any of her books except for the one above. I appreciate the invite, but I'm not sure I would be able to add much. Plus, I'm busy raising kids and blending families right now. If things change, I'll look you up then. Again, thanks for the invite. :)

message 4: by Diana (new)

Diana Okay :) Best wishes.

message 5: by Julia (new)

Julia Panozzo is this book suitable for young teens regarding the romance in it? it was given to my daughter and I have never read it.

Marianne MC I read it when I was in high school. It's just a love story with a cool mystery twist. Her books are clean. Kissing, but nothing behind closed doors. Hope that helps. My daughter read it at 14.

message 7: by Julia (new)

Julia Panozzo yes it does .. Thanks you

message 8: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Hayes-Stathis Although I have so much respect for Jane Austen and her works, I would say Victoria Holt books are a more complex version of Jane Austen.Indeed, they have suspense and mystery, not just romance.

Cathy Cheek I can't imagine comparing Jane Austen who is in a class by herself to Victoria Holt romance novels, but Night of the Seventh Moon stands out as my fave by said author. Of course I read it almost 40 years ago.

message 10: by Pauline (new)

Pauline Hayes-Stathis Let's not get carried away here with our love of Jane Austen who was undoubtably good, for her time, and Pride and Prejudice is my favourite novel. However, she is rather overrated in my opinion. Indeed, I don't think her novels can ever hold a candle to the Bronte sisters or Charles Dickens. However, I love Pride and Prejudice, which is a very simple plot: Rich man doesn't think poor girl is good enough for him but in the end realises her worth. That's it

Cathy Cheek Ok, how about Jamaica Inn by Daphne du Maurier. I am reading that now