C Joy's Reviews > The Other Queen

2711937
Sep 12, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: public-reads, royal-fiction, ebooks

This was the first Philippa Gregory book I've read and I had to adjust to her writing style. She told the story through the three perspectives of this book. I found the sentiments redundant especially 1) Mary: I'm a queen like no other, I am sacred, I cannot be touched by mere commoners, even without a kingdom I'll always be queen; 2) George: I love the other queen, but my loyalty is to Elizabeth; 3) Bess: I came from nothing and now I have everything, and I would do anything to keep all my wealth for myself, my children, and my grandchildren.

This author was highly recommended by a friend due to her expertise in royal fiction, I was also made aware that she wrote "The Other Boleyn Girl", which was turned into a movie. I was looking for something new to read and this was just up my alley. I have very little knowledge about Mary, Queen of Scots because I wasn't paying attention to my history class. After I read this, it inspired me to do my own reading so I can separate fact from fiction. This author has an imagination and effectively wrote in the first person point of view that made me feel triumph, excitement, and anxiety. I've read from the other reviews that this wasn't one of her best works but at least I got a grasp of her writing. It's very descriptive, assertive, and convincing.

Her version of Mary's life was very romantic and tragic at the same time, and this book was remarkably filled with detail and extensive research.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Queen.

September 12, 2009 – Shelved