Meagan 's Reviews > Dehumanized

Dehumanized by Michael Loring

22036432
Sep 01, 2013

So I'm going to start of this review by saying that I LOVE werewolves!!! Epp that was the first thing about this book that drew me in. I didn't even know what the story was about other than werewolves were involved and ahhh I was hooked. So then I actually read the blurb thinking it might be smart to get an idea what this book was going to be about. And let me say the blurb pulled me in even further because it seemed like such a different take on the whole werewolf thing. However, what sold me completely and utterly on this book was the prologue. OMG can I tell you that 1977 was an amazing year. Well sorta. You'd have to understand my craziness, but the way in which Lycanthropy came about is such a different take that I love it. And then looking at the present and the werewolf camps that are set up to contain werewolves is.....different. And interesting.

Okay so our main character for this book is a Ryan Zachery. And he was human his whole life, until graduation night. After that night he woke up in a hospital bed and was told that he had been infected with lycanthropy and was hulled away to camp. The camp is said to be a great and safe place for werewolves to be and it's pretty and nice and....ohhhh like a get away away thing. However, the reality of the situation is completely different. The "camp" is a horrid place to be. They are treated like dirty animals and barely given "stuff" to eat. They get "recess" but it's just a horrid place to be. The guards are evil people and punishments are cruel. I get that werewolves are dangerous and the idea of Lycanthropy spreading is scary and I get that some form of policemanship (yes I just made up that word lol). However, the extreme that the camps are is bad.

So Ryan's situation is interesting. The guards seem to especially hate him and ya know I'd be kind of scared of him too because he seems to sometimes truly channel his inner wolf and even in the most desparate and bad of times he seems to almost overpower the guards and break free. No matter what they do (it's been 2 years) Ryan still holds on to what makes him human; his humanity. He really doesn't form realtionships with anyone that way he doens't have to worry about losing anyone. However, when Anna arrives in the camp, eveything changes for Ryan. I was so lost in this book that it flew by for me. It was such a different take that you can't help but connect with the characters and want things to change. And hoping that eventually something good will happen. You continue to have hope for the characters and have to keep reading just to find out if it will.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this story. The details and the characters were so well written that you just connected with every emotion and feeling and situation. It was almost like you were living there yourself, or you had someone going through what Ryan and the others were going through. This story held everything that a great book should. Once you start this book you won't be able to put it down. I highly recommend this book; especially anyone who loves reading about werewolves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dehumanized.

September 1, 2013 – Started Reading