Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie 's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

I've had this book on my TBR before, but then I removed it because it looked too fluffy you know... But it was still on my ereader so I thought, "Why no give it a go?"

I'm so glad I did, because I could have missed out on one of the best stories I have ever read!

Mara Dyer has just survived a horrible accident, her friends weren't so lucky.To help cope with the stress, her parents move the entire family to a new town. New beginnings. But the past has a way of following you wherever you go. Mara realises this when her reality start to fracture and she starts to question her own sanity. The lines between reality and fantasy begin to blur.

Until she meets, Noah Shaw. The school heartthrob and heart breaker.

I'd like to mention that I loved, loved, loved Noah!

I find it very difficult to stick this book under one genre. It's pnr, ya, fantasy, romance and just plain brilliant! I was never bored, I didn't hate the heroine. There was no whining, no unnecessary angst and the story was engaging. I loved the writing!

I'll keep this short, I can't write a review on this book without giving away the plot. I went in blind, you should too!

Why are you reading this review?

Stop!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“What would you do if I kissed you right now?"
I stared at his beautiful face and his beautiful mouth and I wanted nothing more than to taste it. "I would kiss you back.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Wait," I said as Noah slipped a book from a shelf and headed toward the door. "Where are you going?"
"To read?"
But I don't want you to.
"But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents?" I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.
"So why are you going to read when I'm right here?”

Michelle Hodkin
“In my rush, I hadn’t tied my shoelaces. Noah was now tying them for me.
He looked up at me through his dark fringe of lashes and smiled. The expression on his face melted me completely. I knew I had the goofiest grin plastered on my lips, and didn’t care.
“There,” he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. “Now you won’t fall.”
Too late.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You smell good," he whispered into my neck. He was warm against me. Instinctively, I arched back into him and smiled.
"Really?"
"Mmm-hmm. Delicious. Like bacon.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Did I just see you litter?'
'I'm driving a hybrid. It cancels out.”

Michelle Hodkin
“What could I say? Noah, despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I'd like to rip off your clothes and have your babies.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're distracting,' I said truthfully.
'I won't be. I promise,' Noah said. 'I'll get some crayons and draw quitely. Alone. In a corner.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Thinking something does not make it true. Wanting something does not make it real.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're the girl who called me an asshole the first time we spoke. The girl who tried to pay for lunch even after you learned I have more money than God. You're the girl who risked her ass to save a dying dog, who makes my chest ache whether you're wearing green silk or ripped jeans. You're the girl that I--" Noah stopped, then took a step closer to me. "You are my girl.”

August 31, 2013 – Shelved
August 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 13, 2013 – Started Reading
September 13, 2013 –
16.0% "As I walked back down the hallway to my bedroom, I shot a look at my grandmother's portrait. Her eyes stared back, following me. I was being watched. Everywhere.\n "
September 13, 2013 –
40.0% "\n I love Noah so hard!!!"
September 13, 2013 –
61.0% "\n Morales, this one's for you!"
September 14, 2013 –
76.0% "[image error]\n MIND. BLOWN."
September 15, 2013 –
88.0% "Everything makes sense now...\n "
September 15, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites
September 15, 2013 – Shelved as: gothic-romance
September 15, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy-and-magic
September 15, 2013 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 15, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 26, 2014 – Shelved as: give-this-author-a-bells

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looking forward to your review, little skank x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looking forward to your review, little skank x"

LOL!!! Thanks Skanky Pants! What is TFIOS???

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looking forward to your review, little skank x"

LOL!!! Thanks Skanky Pants! What is TFIOS???"

OMG one of the best YA books evahhhh but not sure that's your cuppa: THE FAULT IN OUR STARS

BTW, how is it going with Paul? x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looking forward to your review, little skank x"

LOL!!! Thanks Skanky Pants! What i..."

I've seen that alot around GR! Does someone die??? As in any of the main characters?

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

LOL!!! Thanks Sk..."

OMG what kind of bitch would I be if I spoil the story for you???

It's a great story, funny and emotional, one of my faves. That's all you will get from me hehe ;) x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looking forward to your..."

LMAO!!! Oh gawd!!! I hate character death, that shit stays with me forever hahaha!!!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I used to picture as Augustus @TFIOS

Looki..."

Chicken! haha

How is it going with HTKARS? x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "That's they guy I..."

Hehehee! I was away for most of the weekend :), so I shall finish it this week. I'm at 40%, but I need to finish the Evolution of Mara Dyer first ;)

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: ..."

Ok so you've been super busy having sex and that's why you didn't read, I get it, no need to mask it haha ;)

Hope you enjoy when you get to it x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dark Romance Junkie wrote: "Rosalinda wrote: "Christine The Dar..."

Bahahahahahaha!!!!

Christine Ooohhh 5 stars huh? I should definitely check this one out!!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Christine wrote: "Ooohhh 5 stars huh? I should definitely check this one out!!"

Christine it was amazing, I was never bored, I was riveted from page 1!!!

Christine Ok heading to iBooks store now! I'm pretty sure I've exceeded my spending limit for the week and it's only Tuesday but hey one more book won't hurt! LOL

message 14: by Mo (new) - added it

Mo Great review. I keep putting this on the long finger too... not sure why.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Christine!"

Thanks Lisa!!!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Mo wrote: "Great review. I keep putting this on the long finger too... not sure why."

Thanks Mo :D, although this book has a high average rating there are mixed reviews. But read it! Even if you don't like it, at least you gave it a shot ;)

Lucia Love this review! I plan to read this but I am waiting for whole trilogy to be released :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Lucia wrote: "Love this review! I plan to read this but I am waiting for whole trilogy to be released :)"

Thank you Lucia! I know right! I had no clue the third book comes out next year June! But I can't stop now! It's amazing!

message 19: by Didi (new)

Didi Great review Christine! I've seen this kicking around.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Didi wrote: "Great review Christine! I've seen this kicking around."

Thanks Didi ;) I loved it!

"That's All" Ash I'm so glad you loved this book, Christine!
AAAAHmazing review! ♥

message 22: by Purva (new)

Purva Wonderful review, Christine! :)

Christine Amazing review Christine!! ❤❤❤

message 24: by Kim (new)

Kim Bailey Nice! I love that you didn't spoil the book, but still wrote a great review.

Mummy Cat Claire Your review makes this book sound right up my alley. I wonder where my mind was when I had started the book? I'll have to give it a second chance. Thanks for your review.

message 26: by Johanna (new) - added it

Johanna Fantabulous review hun... I've also had this book/series on my tbr forevahhhhh.. Now with your review I'm moving this gem to the tipitty top of my tbr

message 27: by Christy (new)

Christy Amazing review, Christine! xo

Annie Brewer Great review! I've had my sights on this one for a year or so. A lot of my friends read and loved it! I'll be giving it a go at some point....PNR is my favorite genre eva! :)

Angie **loves angst** Awesome review Christine! I have to get around to reading this.

message 30: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Wuhooo! Isn't this series mind-blowing-ly amazing?? Fab review, Christine! ;)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie "That's All" Ash wrote: "I'm so glad you loved this book, Christine!
AAAAHmazing review! ♥"

Thanks Ash! I loved it, I see you did too ;)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Sonia ღ wrote: "Wonderful review, Christine! :)"

Thanks Sonia <3

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Christine wrote: "Amazing review Christine!! ❤❤❤"

Thanks Christine <333

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Kim wrote: "Nice! I love that you didn't spoil the book, but still wrote a great review."

Awww thank you you Kim!!!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Claire wrote: "Your review makes this book sound right up my alley. I wonder where my mind was when I had started the book? I'll have to give it a second chance. Thanks for your review."

Yayyyy!!!! Did you finish it when you read it the first time? I'm so glad my review changed your mind :)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Johanna wrote: "Fantabulous review hun... I've also had this book/series on my tbr forevahhhhh.. Now with your review I'm moving this gem to the tipitty top of my tbr"

I hope you love it Johanna!!! Thank you!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Christy wrote: "Amazing review, Christine! xo"

Thanks Christy <3

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Annie wrote: "Great review! I've had my sights on this one for a year or so. A lot of my friends read and loved it! I'll be giving it a go at some point....PNR is my favorite genre eva! :)"

I think you'll love this one Annie :) and thank you!

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Angie **loves angst** wrote: "Awesome review Christine! I have to get around to reading this."

Thanks Angie ;)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Mary wrote: "Wuhooo! Isn't this series mind-blowing-ly amazing?? Fab review, Christine! ;)"

It was freaking fantastic Mary!!! Blew my mind!!! Thanks Babe!

Mummy Cat Claire No, haha. I don't even think I got past chapter one.

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Claire wrote: "No, haha. I don't even think I got past chapter one."

LMAO!!! Babe read it!

Debra AWESOME review, Christine! :-)

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Debra wrote: "AWESOME review, Christine! :-)"

Thank you Debra!!!!

Rosalinda *KRASNORADA* Oh well, we're reading this review because we love your reviews but okay boss, we'll go blind!

Love what you said ;) x

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Rosalinda wrote: "Oh well, we're reading this review because we love your reviews but okay boss, we'll go blind!

Love what you said ;) x"

LMAO!!! You are a treasure!!!

Patrycja I love this series and I'm really happy you loved it as much as I. Second book is even better than the first! xoxo

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Patrycja wrote: "I love this series and I'm really happy you loved it as much as I. Second book is even better than the first! xoxo"

I've only read the first chapter in the first book, and already I'm panting in anticipation! I can't believe I have to wait until June 2014 for book3 :(

Fathima Sooo glad you loved this hon !! Awesome review :D

Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie Fathima wrote: "Sooo glad you loved this hon !! Awesome review :D"

Thanks Babe <333