Neil (or bleed)'s Reviews > This Song Will Save Your Life

Stopped believing
Could have died
I was down
I was drowning
But it came on just in time
This song saved my life

Simple Plan's This Song Saved My Life is the first thing I thought of, the first time I saw this novel. Now, that I have read this book, I can say that this song is relevant to the book.

I was ready to give this book 4 stars when I'm in a middle of reading it when the later part comes and I didn't expect what I've got. No, it's not something shocking or mind-blowing but it's something hopeful, remarkable and truly heartwarming. It's like the unexplainable, pure joy I'm feeling when I'm seeing my family, my friends, and even myself happy despite everything.

Oops! sorry it turned out to be I'm some kind of an emo but that's it. That's what I have experienced reading this wonderful novel. At least on the later part of the novel. Because, This Song Will Save Your Life isn't a happy book, in the first place. It carries a heavy package of emotions filled with sadness, worry, jealousy, and anger. In fact, this book started with a suicide attempt of the main character. She thinks her life doesn't make sense. She feels that she doesn't belong. So she changes herself forcefully; she tries to change herself but it doesn't change anything. At all.

This Song Will Save Your Life is a powerful, profound and realistic novel that reminds us to be ourselves. It also reminds us that yeah, life is unfair, some people are just assholes. But, we have choices in life. We can choose to do what we really want and what make us happy. We can choose to not mind some people's judgment because at the end of the day, whether you do something or not, some people still have a say about you.

Lastly, This Song Will Save Your Life has a special place now in my heart because I think it saved me, partly saved me from the nothing I've become (bring me to life). Lol!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Song Will Save Your Life.

August 31, 2013 – Shelved
August 31, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 28, 2015 – Started Reading
November 28, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reads
November 28, 2015 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 29, 2015 –
December 1, 2015 –
100.0% "There goes my heart..."
December 1, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by yassi (new) - added it

yassi This is on my tbr for such a long long time, maybe I really should give it a go soon. I'm looking forward to your review!

message 2: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige  Bookdragon I like the sound of this. Excited for your review Neil :)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to read this! ;)

Neil (or bleed) yassi wrote: "This is on my tbr for such a long long time, maybe I really should give it a go soon. I'm looking forward to your review!"

You should, Yassi. Thank you. :)

Neil (or bleed) Paige wrote: "I like the sound of this. Excited for your review Neil :)"

Pun intended? for the word sound? :D Will post it up soon, Paige.

Neil (or bleed) Sarah wrote: "I have to read this! ;)"

Yes please.

message 7: by Paige (new) - added it

Paige  Bookdragon Neil (or bleed) wrote: "Paige wrote: "I like the sound of this. Excited for your review Neil :)"

Pun intended? for the word sound? :D Will post it up soon, Paige."

Lol i have a doctorate in in Pun :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader Awwww, that short verse! *wipes a tear*

message 9: by Neil (or bleed) (last edited Dec 02, 2015 01:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil (or bleed) Maganda talaga tong kantang to ng Simple Plan, Aj. :) Hehe.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! Already sounds powerful

Neil (or bleed) Kat Stark wrote: "Wow! Already sounds powerful"

Yeah! Though that was just the chorus of Simple Plan's song This Song Saved My Life.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Neil (or bleed) Kat Stark wrote: "BAHAHHA. Well it's a pretty good connection to the book atleast. I haven't listened to Simple Plan in sooo long"

Yes. :D That chorus is kinda related, too, to what happens in the book. I haven't either listened to them in so long since I settled for Pentatonix's songs these past months. Haha

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Pentatonix <33 I look forward to the review!

Neil (or bleed) Kat Stark wrote: "I love Pentatonix <33 I look forward to the review!"

I hope I can post it up on the weekends. Thanks, Kat! :)

message 16: by Henz (new)

Henz beautiful review neil ... I need to read this book soon ..

Neil (or bleed) Henz wrote: "beautiful review neil ... I need to read this book soon .."

Thank you, Henz! :)

Aj the Ravenous Reader *Wipes more tears* I love your review, awesome pal! It's not very often that you bare your soul in your reviews and I'm glad the book made you. This is exactly everything you said, powerful, profound and realistic and it's still one of my YA contemporary favorites of all time including the author.^^

Neil (or bleed) Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "*Wipes more tears* I love your review, awesome pal! It's not very often that you bare your soul in your reviews and I'm glad the book made you. This is exactly everything you said, powerful, profou..."

Thank you so much, Aj! Sometimes, we need to, at least, reveal some things about ourselves. Charot! Ang lalim ng bare your souls ah pero yeah this book made me to do that. I think this book became one of my fave YA contemporaries na rin. :D

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review!! Sounds like one to remember!

Aj the Ravenous Reader Lol! Deep naman kasi yung review mo bro eh. Hehe. High five!^^

Neil (or bleed) Kat Stark wrote: "Wonderful review!! Sounds like one to remember!"

Yes, it is. Thank you, Kat. :)

Neil (or bleed) Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Lol! Deep naman kasi yung review mo bro eh. Hehe. High five!^^"

Baka pa-deep. Hahaha