Gregor Xane's Reviews > The Children's Hospital

The Children's Hospital by Chris Adrian

bookshelves: 2013

This is a literary novel with science fictional, fantastical, and horrific elements. It’s a novel with overt religious themes that’s filled with black humor, curse words, sexual situations, bleakness, and just a sprinkle of hope. It is dark and funny. The writing is top notch. Some characters are chillingly true-to-life while others are wonderfully over-the-top. The author creates a true microcosm of the world in his children’s hospital afloat on God’s second great flood. He’s smashed a little bit of everything inside and let everything loose to wreak havoc. Is it a bit much? A bit overlong? Perhaps. But the more I think on it, I can’t think of anything that I’d cut. I liked every scene, and especially those featuring Jemma’s big brother, the young psychopath who wants to be undone. This character is so well drawn that his chapters alone are worth the read. Folks seem to be evenly divided on this work. I’m on the side that thinks this is one hell of a literary accomplishment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Children's Hospital.

August 31, 2013 – Started Reading
August 31, 2013 – Shelved
August 31, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
September 22, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by mark (new)

mark monday I'm so glad to have read this review. I bought this one a bit ago but have put it at the bottom of the shelf due to a bunch of very negative reviews from folks in a group I'm in. now it's going back to a place of prominence on the shelf!

Gregor Xane Man, I hope you like it. I sure did.

message 3: by Ruby (new) - added it

Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance] mark wrote: "I'm so glad to have read this review. I bought this one a bit ago but have put it at the bottom of the shelf due to a bunch of very negative reviews from folks in a group I'm in. now it's going bac..."

I was just about to say the same thing. I was really enthusiastic about reading this, but the reviews made me a bit wary. I often ignore reviews & go with my instincts, but not with a book this long. It's too big a time commitment. I'm glad I've seen a decent positive review now :)

message 4: by Greg (new) - added it

Greg Succinct and informative review, Gregor! I'm intrigued about this book now.

Maria I might be missing something and I'd like to think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual but I just don't understand why they all hate Jemma and she is to blame for the demise of the hospital. What is it that I am missing?

Gregor Xane Maria wrote: "I might be missing something and I'd like to think of myself as somewhat of an intellectual but I just don't understand why they all hate Jemma and she is to blame for the demise of the hospital. W..."

Maria, it's been a number of years since I read this one, and I can't recall why everyone blamed her. Wish I could be of some use to you here.