Rachel's Reviews > Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator by Roald Dahl

2097698
Sep 11, 2009

it was ok

I love Roald Dahl and his Charlie and Willy Wonka's chocolate factory! Honestly, I do! It's one of the places I wish existed in real life.

However, this second book was a terrible let down for me. I don't think that Roald should've written a sequel. Ok, I take that back, he should've, but it would've been nice if stuff hadn't been blown so far out of proportion (what am I saying? This is a Roald Dahl book! Of course it is! But I mean that he went overboard on this one).

I'm sad to say I kind of regret reading this, but there's nothing that can be done for people with OCD, who need to read every series from start to finish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

message 1: by MB (What she read) (last edited Sep 12, 2009 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MB (What she read) It IS a very weird book!

Have you read Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" series? One of the books--I think it is Children of the Mind--uses something similar to Dahl's Great Glass Elevator in the plot. I always think of this book, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, when I re-read it.

And I wonder if OSC was alluding to Roald Dahl's elevator knowingly or unknowingly???

Rachel Maybe!

You mean Children of the Mind takes place in space, too?! I'm undecided on whether I should get the series or not, simply because it is a series, and once I start I have to finish. :)

message 3: by MB (What she read) (last edited Sep 12, 2009 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

MB (What she read) Hmmm...well, sort of. They're science fiction and it starts on a planet then they load up into this box and go off into some 'other' place. It's kind of hard to understand/explain. But it always makes me think of the Great Glass Elevator.

BTW, the Enders Game is a extremely good series. The first book (Ender's Game) was written for young adults. It is pretty easy to read quickly and understand. The rest of the series is much 'older' and sophisticated. Requires a willingness to settle into a book and they are much slower going and more serious. Still very good, but 'harder'. You have to read them in order for them to make sense. 'Children of the Mind' (#4) was one of the more difficult ones.

If you haven't read them yet, I'd try Ender's Game first, then see how you feel about continuing. It's fine if you stop right there. It has a good ending and it will satisfy you.

From then on the books are much more adult and less easy-reading.

If you don't want to finish the series, but liked Enders Game, you might also want to try Ender's Shadow which uses the same characters from a different POV. It's also good and an easier read. It's the beginning of a spin-off series. That series is very good as well.

Rachel That's cutting it pretty close to copyright infringement! Lol

Okay...so far there are 4 books, yeah? Erm...does the author intend on writing more? The reading in order won't be an issue because I always do that. :D

That's the thing! I can't just stop at the first book..it's a compulsive kind of deal. Need to read all!

Thanks for the recommendations, MB! I'll look up more about it on the net and check other people's reviews later. I need to get ready to go out now. TTFN!

(what does that mean? I've heard some cartoon say it before as he signed off)

MB (What she read) Oh my! Rachel, if you can't stop when you start, this maybe the wrong recommendation for you. Ooops! Sorry!

and I see there are 6 books in the Ender series (so far) and 4 in the Ender's Shadow series (so far). So maybe you don't want to start them???

I see you live in Malaysia? Is it harder to get books published in America there? But I'd think you might be able to get "Ender's Game" anyway because it is a best-seller and keeps getting re-published.

(I think you'd like it...even if you don't continue on with the rest of the series.)

If you do read it, let me know what you thought, okay? I like to read your reviews.

I think TTFN mean "Ta Ta For Now". It's a British colloquialism, maybe? I may be wrong.

Talk you later! It was nice talking to you. It's fun to think I'm talking to someone so far away. (Very cool!) and TTFN from me too.

message 6: by Félix (new)

Félix I like Card's Alvin Maker fantasy series better than the sci-fi stuff he wrote.

Rachel MB wrote: "Oh my! Rachel, if you can't stop when you start, this maybe the wrong recommendation for you. Ooops! Sorry!

I checked Fantastic Fiction (here's a link) http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/ors..."

Haha..it's okay!

Yes, I do live in Malaysia. Erm...it depends really. Not all books by American authors manage to get here, but if it was on any list, like say, New York Times Bestseller or something like that, it's more than likely we'll import the book.

Thanks for the compliment!

Ah..yes, Ta Ta For Now seems right.

I think it's awesome to talk to people a few (hundred?) thousand miles away! Exciting!

TTFN, again!

(just got back from a camp, teehee)