Siria's Reviews > The True Meaning of Smekday

The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex

Sep 10, 2009

bookshelves: 21st-century, american-fiction, fantasy, young-adult

This is a delightful book—one that manages to not only be engaging and funny, but also smart! How many young adult books are there that are really biting, clever satires on the colonisation of foreign cultures, race and ethnicity which aren't Books With a Moral? (Same goes for adult books, I suppose.) Set in 2013, it follows eleven-year-old Gratuity Tucci, her cat Pig and a renegade alien called J.Lo who set off across America in an attempt to save the world from the alien Boov, and from another, even scarier enemy. Along the way, there are encounters with New Age UFOlogists in Roswell, elderly Native-American men who pointedly defy stereotypes and point out white liberal hypocrisy, and a wryly amusing look at what it means to conquer and be conquered.

There are a few pacing issues, and I think editing it down a little bit would have made The True Meaning of Smekday a stronger book—I would have said that it's perhaps a little too long for its target age group, but I think length has become a guideline more than a rule after the Harry Potter books—but I'm willing to forgive a lot of pacing wonkiness for lines like "You are not a fan of ethnical jokes, ah? Look, is okay if I tells it, I am one sixteenth Habadoo—"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Meaning of Smekday.

September 10, 2009 – Shelved
September 16, 2009 – Shelved as: fantasy
September 16, 2009 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 16, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Joy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joy I loved this one too! I keep waiting for Rex to write another novel; he mostly does picture books.

Siria I would be there on release day to get a new book of his :D For a first novel, it's really remarkably strong. And I adore J.Lo. :D