Gary's Reviews > The Shambling Guide to New York City

The Shambling Guide to New York City by Mur Lafferty

Aug 30, 2013

bookshelves: signed, urban-fantasy

I think this is probably the best thing I've read from Mur Lafferty, and I'm a fan of her work, anyway. Who knew that a book about a book editor putting together a travel guide for New York City could be interesting?

Well, I mean...it's a travel guide for, you know, monsters. Except they don't like that term. It's kind of insulting. They prefer 'coterie.' And they are anything from dragons to fae to vampires to demons, and everything in between.

Where do dragons sleep when they visit New York City? Where should zombies eat? And what about visiting incubi and succubi? All these are answered in the book.

But, of course, the book wasn't just 'Zoë sits at her desk compiling a book about New York City,' because that actually would be pretty boring. She works with a couple of vampires, an incubus, a succubus, a death goddess, a water sprite, three zombies, a dragon, and a construct (think Frankenstein's monster). And there are no sexual harassment laws or health insurance. Still, it's a good enough job.

But then there's a zombie uprising because someone is poisoning their food supply, and the Public Works Department (the coterie police force) are suddenly having to battle all kinds of problems. Something big is about to go down in New York City. And to top it off, it looks like someone (other than / in addition to several of her coworkers) is out to get Zoë.

Being a book editor is dangerous business when you're food to a good number of your coworkers.

Highly recommended. As much as I hate to use this phrase, "It's a fast-paced tour-de-force that will have you on the edge of your seat." :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shambling Guide to New York City.

August 30, 2013 – Shelved