Aylee's Reviews > Magic Marks the Spot

Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson

Read 2 times. Last read August 30, 2013 to September 9, 2013.

You can also read this review on my blog

In short: Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson is a whimsical and light-hearted story that never takes itself too seriously.

You got to bet this one caught my eye immediately because a) I love cute middle grade books with cute middle grade covers, b) I love fun titles, and c) I love pirates. And Magic Marks the Spot delivered exactly what it promised: a whimsical and light-hearted story that had me chuckling at its brilliant tongue-in-cheek humour. Hilary desperately wants to be the most fearsome pirate of the High Seas, but when The Very Nearly Honourable League of Pirates says that no girl is to join their ranks, she sets out to find her own way to make it happen by looking to uncover the most prized treasure known.

The humour and the characters are what makes a book like Magic Marks the Spot shine. The pirates were basically parodies of what pirates are thought to be - scourges and scallywags - and debut author Caroline Carlson adds a lot of comedy poking fun at the stereotypical pirate image. The characters are all a bit two-dimensional, but I guess I don't expect much complexity from such a light, easy book. Even though the characters weren't complex, they were plenty vibrant. Magic Marks the Spot is one of those books that makes you wish you were listening to it via audiobook instead because you know a narrator could have had a lot of fun with these quirky characters.

I think my only complaint stems from one of the book's strengths: it's light-heartedness, while totally fun, kind of took away from any suspense in the book. I know pirates to live dangerous lives, and there are certainly pirate ship fights in Magic Marks the Spot, but at no point is any character in any real danger at all; there are only mild troubles here and there. And you can't tell me it's because it's an MG book and they needed to tone that down. You can still have a clean book for MG readers and have a little more tension there!

Ultimately though, I really enjoyed myself while reading Magic Marks the Spot. It garnered a number of chuckles out of me and I had a lot of fun with the cast of characters - especially the talking gargoyle. It reads as a standalone, but is really apart of a greater series entitled The Very Nearly Honourable League of Pirates. I would definitely recommend this book to MG fans who are looking for something that never takes itself too seriously.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Marks the Spot.

Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
January 13, 2013 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
August 30, 2013 – Started Reading
August 30, 2013 – Shelved
September 9, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Gina (My Precious Blog) You are speedy, you've finished and I've not even started, well I read the first few pages. I'm happy to see it earned 4 stars from you. I hope you will be able to post a review soon, even though I know it probably won't happen because you are super busy. I'll try and be patient.... lol..

Aylee Ha, I wasn't that speedy! It took me over a week to read. But I'm sort of hopeful that I could get the review posted this week? That's my plan. It was such a cute read!