Paula's Reviews > The Man in the Iron Mask

The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas

F 50x66
Sep 09, 2009

I loved "The Three Musketeers," so it was only a matter of time before I found myself picking up "The Man in the Iron Mask." Caution: this is false advertising. The man who is in the iron mask is only a plot point, not the driving action of the novel. (Funnily enough, the plot I had anticipated was not so far from that of the diCaprio version of "MitIM," which I looked up later on imdb.)

I didn't like this novel as much because compared to "Musketeers," it's much sadder. In the first, our heroes are young invincibles who think nothing of having a picnic in the middle of a battlefield. Here, they are wiser (well, maybe not Porthos), older, and much more vulnerable, which I suppose happens to all of us in the end. Every battle and event is tinged with melancholy, as the musketeers themselves mourn the passing of their time.

So why, if it's so dreary, am I giving it four stars? Because it's still that good. It's still full of humor and adventure and drama, and because you will want to read every page even if you know nothing good will come of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man in the Iron Mask.